I Forge Iron

S.D. Kimbark anvil

I had read in Postman's AIA about S.D. Kimbark's anvils. Kimbark was a large carriage/farrier supply house located in Chicago. Their early anvils were made in Germany, after that they started strictly contracting with Hay-Budden in the early 1890's. These large contracts are what led to HB incorporating their anvil business and growing so rapidly (says AIA).

I had never seen a Kimbark-badged HB in person, only in the book. Well now I can say I've seen one with my own eyes....
Several people looked at this anvil during the auction, but I'm guessing didn't know what it was with all the dirt/rust and partial name of "..BARK" visible. I knew it was a Kimbark-badged HB, so I didn't hesitate. $2/lb won the anvil.

SDK1.jpg

Postman dates this at 1897:

SDK2.jpg

Nice shape for being an old girl like this:

SDK3.jpg

SDK4.jpg

SDKimbark.jpg

I think that the Kimbark/HB was the beginning of the farrier pattern anvil. The later HB farriers' anvil had two pritchel holes and a swell to the base of the horn. The clip horn was used to draw clips, which were small projections off the edge of the shoe. The faces on the farriers' anvils were usually not more than 4" in width.

Sayings and Cornpone

"Much did I learn from my teachers. More did I learn from other rabbis, and most did I learn from my students."

Rabbi Akiba

I think that the Kimbark/HB was the beginning of the farrier pattern anvil. The later HB farriers' anvil had two pritchel holes and a swell to the base of the horn. The clip horn was used to draw clips, which were small projections off the edge of the shoe. The faces on the farriers' anvils were usually not more than 4" in width.

Postman notes that Kimbark invented the farrier pattern anvil.

How many anvils are there in your collection now, Black Frog?

ummmm....  ;)

I'm sure I don't have anywhere near the number that some members have here!

In the larger picture, I'm relatively new at this.  There are others that have been finding and collecting for decades.

ummmm....  ;)

I'm sure I don't have anywhere near the number that some members have here!

In the larger picture, I'm relatively new at this.  There are others that have been finding and collecting for decades.

I was just curious.  You've got me beat, I only own one.