I Forge Iron

Little Giant large v-belt outer pulley?

Anyone know where these large outer v-belt pulleys came from that fit on the belt pulley for 25# LG's?

Are they welded on?  Brazed?

I like the idea of having the motor down at the base of the hammer rather than putting the weight of the motor up in the air and off to the side....

I've seen this large outer v-belt arrangement a few times now, wondering where they come from and how they are installed.

I would imagine the extra diameter also makes it a bit easier to get correct rpm without having to go so small on the drive motor pulley.

post-25745-0-10199300-1374847357_thumb.j

Yup, I was wondering about the pulleys.

I found Macbruce's thread where he machined out a spoked pulley for this project, thanks Kubiack!

Now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled at the salvage yard for a donor spoked double sheave pulley.....

You can also turn a new shaft and mount the clutch behind the back bearing and use pulley as is with a flat belt. The motor is mounted low on the side of the hammer. This is the way they come from the factory when ordered with electric motors. I have a 50# transitional hammer set up this way. See the the pictures here for an example http://www.littlegianthammer.com/lg_page2.html.

Well after looking at the pictures again maybe not. The clutch looks to big on most of the line shaft models to move out back. I'm sure I read a article where they moved the clutch out back. Perhaps they bought a rear mount clutch from Sid. I'm too young for my mind to be failing me already.

v-belts on the original flat belt pulley require the mounting of the motor up on the side of the hammer I would imagine due to the crowned pulley.

I would think they would ride off the crowned pulley if the v-belts are too long.....

I was liking the way I've seen some motors mounted down at the base of the hammer using longer belts.

Less mass up in the air, less tippy if you don't have it bolted down to the floor (like me).

I bought a double wide belt from Gates Rubber, they come in 2, 3 & 4 wide for 2, 3 & 4 grove pulleys, this way you don't need to worry about one single belt stretching just a wee bit longer than the other. Also I have seen them using the new belts that are on autos now that run all of the stuff on the front of the car, nice long wide belts, not like back in the 50s, 60s, & 70s when you had a one belt for the water pump,one for the fan, one for the generator and if you were rich enough one for the A/C, now it's just one long wide belt.

Having actual "V's" for the V belts to ride in is not neccesary, the belts work just fine on the original flat belt pulley.

This is true but in the case of my 25 re build I wanted to slow it down which the larger pulley helped to accomplish. If it had had a rear mounted clutch with a larger diameter bull wheel I would have gladly not gone to all that trouble. Btw, don't get bother putting a 2-3 groove pulley on the thing unless the horsepower requires it. For a 25 one belt will do just fine. If you do use a 2 groove, use A belts. Two B's would put undue strain on your motor bearings.

I understand the want for modifying for a lower mount,(not needed, but some like it). I have had no issues at all with motors mounted up high close but lower than the pulley on the frame of the hammer - but I was referring to just using V belts in general on the original flat belt pulley.

How would the different sized belts put undue strain on the motor? - depends on tension I'd think for either belt size.

This is true but in the case of my 25 re build I wanted to slow it down which the larger pulley helped to accomplish.

Precisely. Otherwise the motor pulley needs to be quite small to get appropriate rpm. Some of the YouTube rebuilds I've seen has (imo) the RPMs too high for the hammer. The radius of the motor pulley can only get so small before the belts get beyond their bend limit. A larger pulley on the hammer shaft helps this a lot.

How would the different sized belts put undue strain on the motor? - depends on tension I'd think for either belt size.

It takes more pulling force to bring a larger belt up to it's proper tension than a smaller one. Two B belts are about right for a 5HP motor which will power a 100lb LG. The 5hp motor has far bigger bearings to carry the load. The bearings on a poor little 1hp powering a 25 will groan and eventually fail if subjected to this.....I used a single B on my rebuild and it ran Aok but I could have used a single A. The deciding factor was I just happened to have a B-2 groove pull in my barrel of used sheaves that could be machined to fit. It probably wasn't necessary but I removed one of the grooves that I didn't need.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=horsepower%20per%20v%20belt&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CFMQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitekbalancing.com%2Fblog%2F2011%2F02%2F23%2Fover-sizing-v-belt-drives-a-big-mistake-that-can-cost-you-time-money%2F&ei=bUDzUcOkBIrEiwK1-IDIBw&usg=AFQjCNE9-UGhonNgvvBwzKyZcC02SOmvGQ&cad=rja

Some of the later hammers came from the factory with V-belt pulleys.  All of the clutches can be moved out the back with a new longer main shaft.  Cast iron pulleys can be machined and brazed/welded on the flat belt pulleys.   The easiest and I think the best is a coged belt running on the flat belt clutch pulley.  You can get pulleys small enough to get the bpm correct the belt will bend around the small pulley, the teeth keep it from slipping on the small pulley and there is plenty of contact on the large pulley.  Only modification that needs to be done is trun the crown off the pulley about 50 percent wider than the belt.

The  low mounted motors alowed the flat belt on the small pulley to wrap around the pulley farther giving it more square inches of contact area.  Also the futher the center to center distance the less crictial the belt alignment so the belt will stay on better

My hammer is a early hammer(1904) Im wondering if it was changed to its present configuration or it came that way?

Your  hammer has had a new long shaft, and all the clutch assembly changed to the latest stye V pulley and clutch if it has wood blocks. If it does not have wood clutch blocks they used the original clutch spider with the new style pulley.