I Forge Iron

Found an interesting Heller Hammer

SilverDeck

I recently ran across this Heller hammer in an antique store and bought it to use.   The wood handle was severely cracked, so I spent some time hand-fitting a replacement hickory handle.  I'm having a really tough time finding information on the internet about his type of hammer.  I've seen it labeled as a "Cat's head" hammer, a "turning hammer", and a "fitting hammer" - all of which seem to be related to farrier uses.  The head weighs right at 28 oz (1 3/4 lbs).  The markings, although somewhat beat up, say "Heller" above and image of a horse and "Bros. Co." below.  Anyone here know more about these types of hammers.  I'd love to learn more about it.  Are they at all unusual?

IMG_20130723_075152_418.jpg

IMG_20130723_075204_664.jpg

IMG_20130723_075204_664.jpg

IMG_20130723_075220_883.jpg

IMG_20130723_075250_591.jpg

It's a horseshoers' cross peen. The old catalogs may call it a turning or fitting hammer, because horseshoes were "turned," meaning that they were forged; it's a vernacular. It's not a cat's head. Occasionally, a toe calk, after welding, needed to be thinned and/or tapered, so the peen was used for that.

I think one of my old catalogs called this hammer a "lineman's hammer," meaning like the Wichita lineman.

I see that such a hammer could be used for any light blacksmithing work.

Sayings and Cornpone

" On the way to the fishin' hole, we'd mark every road kill we drove past. On the way home, anything that wasn't marked was fresh meat!"          

Buddy Leonard, Covington, Louisiana

I have one just like it that I got at a flea market for $6. It's my absolute favorite hammer. I've seen them pop up on ebay and every time they've sold for around $90. I pound out the basic shape with my 4lb cross peen, then I finish it up with this one.

I have one just like it that I got at a flea market for $6. It's my absolute favorite hammer. I've seen them pop up on ebay and every time they've sold for around $90.

This one was a similar bargain. I think the dealer was asking $4 and it was 25% off so I ended up paying $3.

• 2 weeks later...