I Forge Iron

Forge thermometers for heat treating H13

Guest Johnnie

Guest Johnnie

I am seriously looking into making some new dies for my power hammer using H13 but understand the necessity for heat treatment. My question is where can I buy a gas forge thermometer, it is obviously necessary to know the temperature. I live in france but would buy worldwide.

Also what scale degree Fahrenheit or Celsius would be needed?

Confused.com!!!

I'd recommend something similar to these from Omega:

http://www.omega.com/pptst/KHXL_NHXL.html

I'd go for type K, 6mm diameter (or 1/4" depending on what is available wherever you buy). I'd go for 600mm or 24" of probe below the handle. This is long enough and rigid enough to put the tip where you want to measure without having your hand too close.

Personally, I prefer a grounded junction for fast response when I'm checking the temperature is constant throughout the forge, but the insulated junction is probably a little more rugged and it's what I'd recommend to most people.

Omega are about the biggest name in thermocouples worldwide, and the Super Omegaclad XL sheath is rated for 1335 degC, which is higher than most. Shipping costs hurt though.

Thermocouples are widely used in industry and there will be local(ish) suppliers. The biggest problem is usually knowing what to ask for. A type 310 stainless steel sheath will be good enough; it's rated to 1100 degC, but this is for long-term use. It will last a while above that and is even good for checking up to forge-welding temperature (around 1300 degC) for the hobby knifemaker.

It will need a miniature type K plug to suit the readout.

For a readout, get a TM902C from ebay. There are lots of sellers. Price is 5 or 6 bucks/euros delivered (et 2 for when you melt or stand on one). They seem too cheap to work, but they do work very well indeed.

They read to 1365 degC, but only degC; no degF option, and only with type K thermocouples.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you priced a local heat treating facility? Most of what I had done when I had my shop fit into my heat treater's minimum charge, which was $50 back in the late 1980's. I had all of my punch press dies done in an inert atmosphere so they came out clean - no scale. The other bonus is for tempering since they had multiple ovens, and some alloys need to be tempered immediately after cooling down/quenching.

Guest Johnnie

Yes I have browsed the internet and sent a coulpe of emails. 

It certainly is an option, one I will probably go for although I have purcased K type thermometer and probe now but I am sure it will come in handy either way!!