I Forge Iron

Saw makers Anvils

Do saw makers anvils typically sell for more, less or the same as a comparable weight and condition London pattern anvil? I'm looking at a saw makers anvil and I have no idea how to value it.

Thanks,

Richard Chase

From what I've seen, it depends.

I've seen some mint looking saw maker's anvils go quite high, and I've also scored a very nice price on one sold locally as well.

......I could say the same about regular pattern anvils too.

Maker, condition, location, and size are all factors in value.  Some knifemakers use them for their flat surface.  Originally, they were never struck with a hammer.  The saw blade was always between the hammer and the anvil.  That is why some of them are in terrific condition.

You are correct in there is no clear answer.

Okay, let's skip to how you can put a value on it for you:

- what it's worth to you / how much you can afford

- how soon you want one / how long you think you'd have to wait for the next one to be for sale

- a price you're okay with: 1) you won't regret you spent that much for it;  and 2) if someone's willing to pay more than you, you won't regret missing the opportunity

If you're looking at "NEAR MINT 258lbs Early FISHER & NORRIS Eagle Saw/Blade Makers BLACKSMITH ANVIL" in Newfield, ME, I've looked at that anvil at his place and he was stuck on a price higher than I would go, so I was surprised to see it listed with no reserve and a starting price of $9.99. Maybe it was a mistake, but now there's bids on it and looks like he's going to let the listing run it's course. This might be a chance to pick up that anvil at a lower price than normal, particularly because you can go pick it up. The freight cost eliminates a lot of other buyers. We'll know what it sold for in 3 1/2 days.

Good luck, we're rooting for you.

• 2 weeks later...

That’s the one.

I understand the idea that something is worth what you’re willing to pay for it, I was mostly trying to get an idea what it might sell for.

Turns out the answer is $610.00, what was he asking for it in his shop?

I ended up dropping out of the bidding when I scored 2300lb of 4340 in the form of 3 6.75"X10.5" bars in varying lengths that will allow me to proceed with some experiments in anvil making I have been wanting to try.

Richard