I Forge Iron

Iron Stand - A Beginner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm liking these horn candle cup thingies more all the time. Yeah, the floor lamp needs to be stable and safe or you couldn't sell one without chancing someone else owning everything you have. The chandelier and sconce are very cool. The sconce is just crying out for a nice sculpted, chased, repousse, etc. reflector behind it. A reflector would also shield the wall from any heat and make an insurance guy much happier.

You just gotta think about liability you know.

Frosty The Lucky!

How did I k now it was an RPG? Heck I grew up when there was hardly anything but RPGs, card and board games. 

Frosty The Lucky!

It just goes to show, once again, Cultural and geographic differences! When I first read this, I think crazy Americans can't just give the kids toy guns they have rocket propelled grenades, card and boardgames. And we thought Risk and Monopoly caused strife!

Obviously I missed the boat on that one! :rolleyes:

On the horn lights they would be quite funky if one put a "cup" in the neck to hold a "tea light"(small round disposable candle) much less hazardous too.

Ian

It just goes to show, once again, Cultural and geographic differences! When I first read this, I think crazy Americans can't just give the kids toy guns they have rocket propelled grenades, card and boardgames. And we thought Risk and Monopoly caused strife!

Obviously I missed the boat on that one! :rolleyes:

On the horn lights they would be quite funky if one put a "cup" in the neck to hold a "tea light"(small round disposable candle) much less hazardous too.

Ian

Ian: While you're in Chicago hit a toy store and check out the weapon toys. I'll bet you find rpg and other various man portable missile launcher toys. As kids we only had bazooka and mortar toys. . . Not counting artillery and other crew served weapons that is. We significantly sped up the game of "War" by introducing the nuclear option, no more spending hours on one game.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ian

Or you could go even safer and use the battery powered fake candles they sell for jack-o-lanterns.

I'm liking these horn candle cup thingies more all the time. Yeah, the floor lamp needs to be stable and safe or you couldn't sell one without chancing someone else owning everything you have. The chandelier and sconce are very cool. The sconce is just crying out for a nice sculpted, chased, repousse, etc. reflector behind it. A reflector would also shield the wall from any heat and make an insurance guy much happier.

Frosty The Lucky!

I agree about the reflector, plus it would allow hanging it instead of relying on having to nail it into the wall. That's what it looks like the ones in the game represent. The stem just comes straight out of the poles or walls.

The wall sconce just nailed into the wall was well thought out. K.I.S.S. method. Why waste processing speed adding detail to a sconce holder when it can be used adding detail to the human forms or the enemies, ect. Also, the design is much more realistic for that type of product. Especially if it's kept in a commoners home. They aren't going to pay for the detail. They just want something that works. Most torch olders are nothing more than a spiked loop stuck into a post. You don't need more that that. Well at least you didn't. Now it's all about pretty. not so much about function.

what I would do is just add Pins inside where the stand wraps around the horn. The pins would hold a votive candle level and low enough that the upper section of the horn would be lit. I would try to make the band that wraps around the horn thick enough that the pin's and the candle would be hidden from the outside. Maybe 3/4"-1" wide.

Good points Thor but I think the thread is taking on a brainstorming rather than a historical reconstruction, aspect. Both more than valid tracks and worth discussing.

Speaking historically the horn lights would be pretty upper crust as horn was valuable for other things and most folk would be lighting with rush lights and oil lamps. Candles were pretty expensive for a long time though oil lamps were something almost anybody could afford. Fat was common.

Iron was expensive, most commoners wouldn't own much if any, let alone forged iron of any account or quantity. Think knife or toasting fork being a commoner's iron utensils. As recently as the early 18th century USA, people spent valuable time pulling nails, hinges and other hardware from buildings being abandoned or demolished. Sometimes going so far as to burn them but that was rare as lumber was valuable too. Using forged iron as a sconce wouldn't be a commoner's light at least till candles were cheap enough commoners could afford them or were lucky enough to have enough beeswax left over to make their own.

The horn lights under discussion here are RPG items and I think in a realistic setting would be found in a warlord, chief or pirate chief's hall. Think Viking longhouse where Ragnar Lothbrok held court, basic functional in a prosperous household. The Viking, Dane or Celt in general version of decoration was different than ours and almost anywhere else in western Europe. I'm not a student of history, more an interested Lay reader. What I've gathered though is the "viking" culture dates back way far with roots earlier than Egypt, think Phonecia or Minoa. Not only are the ship designs dead ringers but their iron working craft has roots in India as does their gold craft. Seriously, their sword steel was basic Damascus divorced from the parent ore but the craft going into them was so similar as to be nearly the same.

Even Viking doesn't mean what it did, it isn't the people it's a trade, raider/pirate/ etc. The Dane culture is ancient, ranged and traded from India to Africa, to the Russian arctic to western Europe to the Americas. An occasional trip to go aviking WAS a cultural practice and I'm thinking a lot of their bling used to belong to folk who couldn't keep it. From lamps and soup bowls to jewelry. Why i the world would THEY take valuable time from a blacksmith's weapon making to make a sconce? Make some weapons and TAKE what you want to decorate the lodge.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Just ask Ian. ;>~

Frosty The Lucky.

In a log cabin or such it would be completely reasonable to do the simple nail-point version. But most people nowadays have sheetrock walls where such mounting isn't practical. I was referring to producing an item that would be more likely to sell (i.e. have a wider prospective clientele). I agree that a historically accurate item would most likely have been K.I.S.S. engineered. But most people nowadays aren't wanting historical authenticity as much as just the "feel and vibe".

the point was, it wasn't an excercise in lack of thought.

it was an excercise in simplicity. minimal effort and resources to get the job done. I'm talking about the programming just as much as I'm talking about a fuctional product.

Ah gotcha. Programming as in for a 3D printer rather than at the anvil. No opinion here, I'm a huge fan of 3D printing I just don't have any practical knowledge.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fair point on the programming aspect, I wasn't thinking about it from a process efficiency perspective. You would need to pre-drill the hole for that wouldn't you think? If you were to hammer on the ring hard enough to drive that thick spike into a tough timber you would destroy the ring, unless you brace it temporarily with something. That's more where I was placing the lack of thought, how it would actually work in the real world, which is where most videogames fall on their face.

Frosty The Lucky!

DARN YOU FROSTY! ;) Now I have ANOTHER skillset on my "I'm working on that." list. I did my first attempt at chase/repousse last night... it's barely recognizable as a representation of the original image. LOL

Here it is...
>gallery_28530_30_49488.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

LastRonin, We seem to always be most critical of our own work. To you it may not meet the standards you set for yourself but to others it's magic and "wow". From the picture, I think it looks pretty good.  I am farely new at the ironworking. First I had to figure out what chase and repousse were.

As to the original, consept. Rapping 1/4 square around a mandrel, one and a half raps, forge nice feet, twist the legs. One has to have a split attachment for the horn, as it forms the third leg. It drill or punch and slip the horn and bracket over the horn and clinch a cobblers tack or two.
As for the drive spike, just like a drive hook, bend it back on its self to form a head, then forge a "C" to hold the horn. No need for a rivit or a nail as gravity will hold the horn.
As to lighting, pored in place candles, inserted candles, liquid paraffin candles or fake Led candles (last two being the safest)
Ah, for the days when RPG ment dice, and paper not bits and bites.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I forgot what the site was called and took forever to find it again xD

I'll be looking through all these posts carefully - some real good advice here! In the meantime (learning to be a blacksmith isn't exactly an overnight thing) I'll be paying a local blacksmith to make the stands for me. (no volunteers, I already found him! :D)