I Forge Iron

I punched some plate I have and it went through without any distortion so I guess it works well.  I plan on making a set hammer and a leafing hammer.  Might jump up to a larger forging hammer later.  I need to get some stock for that though.  I will do a drift next.  I have a good amount of the sucker rod to work with thanks to RTheabeu.  The one inch is about the same as a 4130 from what he told me.

Sounds good Bryan. Try a machine shop that replaces lock pins and hinge pins for loaders, graders, excavators, dozers, etc. When the stock gets too short it's only a drop. take them a bottle opener, box of donuts and coffee and they may just give you some juicy drops or let you have it for scrap prices. I picked up some really excellent 110mm round I turned into the new flat dies on my LG ANd some 1 1/4" I'm going to use for hammers for really cheap. some 20.00 and it'd be well over $100 new.

There are lots of earth move shops in the interior, time for a stroll in the yellow pages Bro.

Were you going to make it down for the blade clinic? We have room.

Frosty The Lucky.

Excellent ideas there Frosty, I'll do just that.  One idea I had was to get 1045 from an online source.  There are several that will ship small cuts for not huge money.  4140 12 inch piece 2" is just under $30 from Online Metals and I can get 12 inches of 2" 1045 from Speedy Online Metals for $21, both add shipping of course.  And of course larger sizes are available if that's what I need.

Unfortunately no, I won't be able to.  I really want to.  Thanks for that invite and I will come down when I'm able to.  I just don't know when that will be.  There is a dog show at Palmer end of this month on the weekend of the 26th.  We will be there for that.  We'll figure something out.  Maybe I can come down for a weekend forging get together like I was able to a couple of years ago. That sure was fun.  It was great to see you and everyone else.  I hope to do that sooner rather than later. 

track pins about 1 3/4" - 2" dia make excellent hammers.   For a normal hand hammer, stock 1 5/8" dia is ideal but you can't usually find that size so 1 3/4" is second best.  1 1/2" can be used but they come out too small for my liking unless you jump up the diameter on each end.  2" is good for heavier hammers, but makes for a short head for lighter ones unless you can hammer it down in size.  .................just sayin"................. :)

Excellent ideas there Frosty, I'll do just that. One idea I had was to get 1045 from an online source. There are several that will ship small cuts for not huge money. 4140 12 inch piece 2" is just under $30 from Online Metals and I can get 12 inches of 2" 1045 from Speedy Online Metals for $21, both add shipping of course. And of course larger sizes are available if that's what I need.

Unfortunately no, I won't be able to. I really want to. Thanks for that invite and I will come down when I'm able to. I just don't know when that will be. There is a dog show at Palmer end of this month on the weekend of the 26th. We will be there for that. We'll figure something out. Maybe I can come down for a weekend forging get together like I was able to a couple of years ago. That sure was fun. It was great to see you and everyone else. I hope to do that sooner rather than later.

I'll ask Deb about the weekend of the 26th. she may be doing a nosework demo with Baxter or a treiball demo with Falki. It'd be way cool to get together again, I have the LG working with nice shiny new flat dies so that pesky hammer stock is no problem. Well, not much, we still have slitting and drifting but I have a HEAVY sledge.

track pins about 1 3/4" - 2" dia make excellent hammers. For a normal hand hammer, stock 1 5/8" dia is ideal but you can't usually find that size so 1 3/4" is second best. 1 1/2" can be used but they come out too small for my liking unless you jump up the diameter on each end. 2" is good for heavier hammers, but makes for a short head for lighter ones unless you can hammer it down in size. .................just sayin"................. :)

I agree on stock dia but you do with what you have if you're like I am and too cheap to buy what I can salvage. <wink>

Frosty the Lucky.

OOO Track pins... I hadn't thought of those.  I'll go to the John Deer repair shop here and ask about it.  Also the hinge pins for the buckets might be found there too.  Taking notes taking notes. 

I hope y'all have a great time at the lesson, I know I would like it a bunch.  Renee has two of our dogs entered in the obedience trials and has been working with them for a while to get them ready.  It looks like it will be a fun weekend.  I don't know if I can get away though.  I will be driving our motor home down and won't be able to drive over.  Of course that doesn't mean I can't get away for an afternoon to play.  Maybe we can work something out.  

• 1 month later...

As far as I know they are pretty good steel to use.  What type of steel is a mystery to me but I think it would work fine for that.  I have seen people who use mild steel for drifts too.  As far as I understand things you don't need to heat treat them because they will be used hot and frequently get into the temps that would ruin a heat treat anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...