I Forge Iron

Got it! My little Beaudry Peerless

Guest Johnnie

Guest Johnnie

After a six hour drive south through France I arrived at Lyon and there it was. I thought she was going to be a lot smaller, damm she is HUGE. After 2hours dismantling i was back on the road over weight and a gruelling 8hour drive home. My poor 4x4 worked hard.

Anyway here she is still dismantled but in her new forge. Thank god for friends with tractors to help with unloading.

In the last photo I even think the wife likes it!!! Until i start her up that is.t'

post-19880-0-96126700-1373263972_thumb.j

post-19880-0-20638900-1373263994_thumb.j

post-19880-0-11427400-1373264016_thumb.j

post-19880-0-32468200-1373264050_thumb.j

post-19880-0-04601400-1373264090_thumb.j

glad you got it!!  be sure and keep us posted, really nice hammer, ive only seen pics of 1 more I think its in Canada.   Man... rare Beaudry hammer and good looking wife,  must be living right!

Guest Johnnie

K A Willey its not a serial # just the manufacturer's number. Can't find a serial number anywhere. Here is the pic of the bottom brass plate

post-19880-0-89747800-1373303963_thumb.j

Nice score John, she's a beauty. Nice looking power hammer too. I'll be watching for progress pictures while you bring it back into working order.

What kind of dog do I see checking out the hammer's base?

Frosty The Lucky.

Guest Johnnie

FTL thats Beau a golden retriever We have six, yes six dogs. 2 St Bernards, one Douge du Bordeaux 2 Rotties and Beau. Looking forward to the day I use her ( the hammer),wife has has already been hammered!

Need a new concrete base for the hammer before use with a little rebar I think!!!

Jonnie as Lamey said the # on the tag is the serial # it was built in 1915 if that is a 01 it was the first Peerless that year, that is a beautiful hammer I have 3 Beaudry Champions and love everyone of them are you going to use the drive configuration that was on the hammer in the first pic? would you take a pic of the big tag for me I would like to see if it say something different than my champion tags, it would be neat to hear what that hammer would have to say if it could talk!

I think you should have a small ceremony to celebrate the marathon trip home.

Perhaps a kiss on both cheeks from the lovely press model.

Then you could put on your best yellow jumper and hold a bunch of flowers and a small stuffed lion above your head for the adoring public.

Tour de Beaudry :)

Guest Johnnie

Wow 1915!!!!  And yes it is 01, thats blowm me away. Thank you so much for the info. 

Yes will probably keep the drive the same unless I have problems.......if its not broken don't fix it and all that. The two bearings and housings on the top pullie are kerfunked! And need replacing, lots of movement in all directions. 

KAW I will endeavour to take a pic of the set up plate but its got NINTEY EIGHT YEARS of wear and not too sure if it will be readable. If all else fails I will type it out and Pm you.

Yahoo2 Tour de Beaudry was a worthy mission and beers (lots) were consumed that evening on my return.

Thanks again guys, you've made my day. I now own a stunning piece of history!

Guest Johnnie

K.A.W here is the plate. Not sure how well you can see it. On my tab I can expand the photo and it's quite clear. If you can't let me know and I will PM you. Hope it helps.

post-19880-0-95645700-1373350454_thumb.j

post-19880-0-33010300-1373350477_thumb.j

the largest they made was a 200, so we know its not over that. Just a guess here but looking at the size in comparison with surroundings I would say at least 150.  You could always take the ram out and weigh it, this would give you a chance to really inspect the linkage etc....

Guest Johnnie

Thank you Mr Willey. 100 lbs?? Would sound about right the fella said he thought it was about 50kgs. 

Can't believe she has seen two world wars. Enjoying finding out all I can and appreciate your help very much. Looked everywhere on the web and found there is very little little info on these lovely hammers, gutted! Thanks again, John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, its johnnie! I have had a lot of problems with IFI recently and have had to open a new account as "fredbloggs" to get back on here.

The hammer is still unused but have changed a few bearings and poured a new reinforced foundation 15" deep as the floor in the forge is only 4" concrete and the last thing I want is her digging herself into the floor. 

Anyway back for the time being alas as fred bleeding bloggs!

Of course I will. I hope to be moving the hammer to her new "bed" this weekend and re-building it.

Not to sure how long to leave it before starting her up as the concrete is still going to be very green!

Also I am going to invest in a slow starter to be kind to the motor and save blowing the electric everytime I flick the switch.