I Forge Iron

Anvil with side pocket

Using TPAAAT.

Probably 150lbs. What's the pocket for? Upsetting? Anyone with an idea of maker?

That's concrete sprayed all over it. The "pocket" is about 1 1/4" in diameter at the bottom with rounded corners. 

post-4684-0-05772600-1373250681_thumb.jp It's hard to see but there's a clip horn. 

Using TPAAAT.

Probably 150lbs. What's the pocket for? Upsetting? Anyone with an idea of maker?

That's concrete sprayed all over it. The "pocket" is about 1 1/4" in diameter at the bottom with rounded corners. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20130707_180822_253.jpg It's hard to see but there's a clip horn. 

Can't really see this "pocket" you're talking about.

Looks like an interesting anvil though. Since it bears a clip horn it was obviously made with horseshoeing in mind but doesn't look much like a horseshoers anvil.

My SWAG is that it may have been a hybrid. An anvil made for both shoeing and general smithing. Combination types like that were popular for places like ranches or any place else where general smiths shod horses as part of their business.

Hope somebody else can tell you more.

George

Thanks George, 

The pocket is centered in the waist. Its the capsule shaped depression. It's mottled coloration and crust made it hard to photo and the flash just washed everything out. 

The depression is about 3 " tall and is tapered into the anvil from the top resulting in a roundish dish about 1 1/4" in diameter at the bottom of what I'm describing as the pocket. It seems to be obviously be for upsetting  but I would still like to identify it. 

Frosty had a big block a while ago with a series of similarly shaped depressions down the length of it, which i believe he said were for dressing rock drilling bits? it was under tailgaiting a few to several months ago IIRC so i think it has been swept away by the housekeepers so i cant provide much more than that.

Modifying your tools so they suit your way of working is an ancient blacksmith trait---that modification does not impact other uses of the anvil and so shouldn't impact the value of that anvil as a working piece.  Unlike another anvil shown here where they put a hole right in the middle of the best spot to hammer!