I Forge Iron

New workshop

Bit late now, but something others might want to think about if they do a shop in the future.

Back the drywall up with plywood if you are thinking about putting up shelves, cabinets or other things that need to be attached to the walls securely.  Even cheap OSB will work for most things like that. Cover the studs with the plywood, then rock over it if that's the look you are going for. Saves all those furring strips on the wall and you can throw a screw in anywhere you choose. The small storage room of my shop is lined with 3/4" plywood and my adjustable shelf standards will hold up just about anything you can stack on the shelves. ( we used to load them with bagged concrete products)

That's a trick for doing bathroom and kitchen remodels as well.

You might also want to make sure you can easily drain that compressor. I'd pipe it outside myself so you don't have to deal with the mess when you dump it daily. Mine uses a ball valve vs the cheap petcock that came on the bottom of my big tank. All I have to do is kick the valve open to dump it and then close it again to drain and the water dumps outside with no mess.

Great idea for the compressor drain. Make it similar to water heater pressure venting outside the building, using hydraulic hose because it can withstand the vibration. If the compressor breathes from inside the shop then there will be noise and if it breathes from outside the building there will be a substantial amount greater condensate.

Now you might as well add a lean-to for a forge, because all that insulation and few windows / doors will not be cool. Here in Mississippi we start with where the windows are located, or doors. We awaken each day to forging temperature and then it warms up! SO ventilation is very important.

Carry on

It's simple and easy and a lot less expensive than an auto drain. Reminds me I have to repost something on the dangers of compressors later on.

Your comment about the air input is a good one as well. When I worked for a dive shop the noise coming from the air input was quite load. As soon as we moved and rerouted the air intake to outside, we decreased the noise considerably. Then you could really tell how much noise actually came from the input stack. Without the noise of the compressor to mask it there was a distinct "thwock, thwock" sound coming from the intake pipe outside..

If you run the intake through a baffle or muffler you can quiet it down to hardly noticeable. It needs to allow the air to flow well so a little fiberglass  packed loosely in a piece of PVC is all you need. Heck, maybe a 3lb. coffee can and some fiberglass would do it.

I really like your compressor room and I'd keep the lumber/sheet rock door you built, maybe even come up with a cool secret latch of some sort. You know, a little book shelf with one book that tips out or turns.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will probably do a drain like DSW mentioned, my compressor has an easy drain valve already and I would just need to extend the tube outside. I'll make some kind of baffle for the air intake and run it inside the shop so I wont be taking in as much moisture as if I ran it outside.

No lean-to David, my forge doesn't put off heat :) I will make some sort of small fume extractor/vent to draw away from whatever I'm heating in the coil.

A ducted ventilation system for the shop will be done sometime too, once I cut a hole to get back into the attic, I want to do something that will cycle the air pretty fast since I don't have windows, keeping my eye on Craigslist for big squirrel cage fans.

I agree on the windows, my new shop is getting 5 windows plus a glass in the passage door. I figure I'll be in a closed box soon enough. Also after being in the fire service for 25+ years I put a second door in the back wall, not all fires will start by the forge and I want a second option for egress other than up front.

The compressor intake from outside is a good idea as cooler air, which you have 1/2 the year in PA, compresses faster and better than warm air of the shop. Be sure to drain on the way out every night esp. in humid weather.

Very nice shop best of luck with it, and enjoy. 1000's out here in smithing land would love to have it.

What I'd LIKE to do is extend the whole shop 10ft and add another big door on that end lol, but ya I'll probably add some windows before too long.

LOL That sounds fairly typical. The shop isn't even done yet and it's already too small! Of course if you added another 1000 SF, that would probably still be the case.