I Forge Iron

If you could have any tool, what would it be?

We all have the one tool we need, and that's are brain. Many are dull and rusty, others have never learned to be used, wile a fine few have been damaged. But the skills and imagination contained there in are what's important. What to use for a forge? What to use for an anvil, how to make the tools we need, how to deform the hot steel to our shape efficiently...
You were born with it, Glenn and the others here have provided the know how, now you need to sharpen your imagination and skill.
As for myself, a slave driver to keep me at the forge learning

The one I need for the current project...

I have acquired all my major tools as they were needed for a particular commission and then have had their use thereafter.

Caintuckrifle, I was very pleased to get my fly presses and loved the things you could do with them, but I am saddened to say that since I bought a 12 tonne single acting hydraulic "C" frame press my fly presses have stood idle. The Hi-ton press I bought was only £350 and the Norton number 8 fly press was £400 a few years earlier, so maybe you might consider going straight to a hydraulic….

Judson, I agree, I always reckon space is the most expensive tool.

Alan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bigguns: Getting 3 phase run to the place would cost more than the house and property is worth. Just out of curiosity are they throwing in shipping to have it removed for them?

On the other hand it might MIGHT work as an iron melter so we could start casting an Alaskan made version of the Fisher anvil. Heck, if we could get good enough steel we could cast high end steel anvils! Oooooh!.

Naw, sounds too much like a job.

Frosty the Luckily retired.