I Forge Iron

Fantasy Spearhead Challenge

I've had a lot of time at the forge recently and have been trying out all sorts of new things. I was watching Lord of the Rings last night and one cannot help but admire the workmanship of some of the props, from weapons and armour to the furnishings of the buildings. Anyway, the spears carried by the Gondorian spearmen really caught my eye. I did a little research and discovered that they were made from cast resin which is always bad news when trying to reproduce something on the forge. However, the shape of it looks quite forgable, as seen below, and I think the blade and flat part will cause few problems aside from a lot of tapering!

However, the difficult bit would be the socket. The way the lines neatly carry on from the rest of the spear would be near impossible (at least for me) to reproduce by flattening and wrapping a socket as would be the norm. The only alternative I can think of is to forge it from one solid piece of steel to make it neat and then to drill the socket into the bottom.

I was wondering if you'd have any other ideas or general tips as to how you would approach this? I don't normally pay much interest to fantasy weapons, however I think this one is an achievable albeit challenging goal that could yield some good results and have some fun along the way! If I create something good enough to share, I will!

copyrighted material reomoved 2x,  Copyright means its owned by that person that took the photo or owns the item iteself.  In this case the item is owned by one party, and the person that took the photo owns rights to the photos them selves,  A link to that persons site with those is acceptable.

HE has the rights to display the item,  Please do not repost others property with out permission.

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, July 3, 2013 - needed to see it
Hidden by Steve Sells, July 3, 2013 - needed to see it

The image was removed because it was copyrighted. However posting on here would be entirely acceptable under Fair Use policy and the copyright is to prevent resale, not distribution, elsewise it wouldn't be used as a product picture! Bah, sorry, I can't stand copyright laws anyway, the sooner they bring them into the 21st century the better!

Here's a screen grab from the film, it's nowhere near as clear, but you should get the idea!

http://imgur.com/Iygonel