I Forge Iron

Early Pilkington power hammer.

Guest Johnnie

Go on Bash. That is stunning! But on angle grinder on the ram?????? Why do people do this? Well worth the two hundred pound fine me thinks.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

yes that baby girl is a old one    my mate has a pillinton the same ,   but his is  not have it going  

i have a  i think its a all days    about 1cwt  ,  it is a going  like a wizz  

moony 

• 8 months later...

Well I finally got it up and running again. Played with the VFD speed control and managed to get it striking hard (very hard) and also nice and gently as well . there is a nice spot at around 45 hertz that seems like a good compromise.I have it coupled to a 6hp motor that may well just be up to the job (7.5 would be better If I am to run it at higher speed, there is one on ebay at the mo). 

I am going to pull the big end apart . the offset crank  is a very large diameter with a V large bearing surface (i think its steel on steel)  and there is movement there . I think I can easily tighten it up but want to look at at the bearing surfaces first. 

anyhow I have had this 2 years in July.......and want it installed and running  by then.

• 7 years later...

Hi Basher (i am not sure if this is correct), I am repairing a 1908 Pilkington power hammer that looks identicle to yours.

mine has a broken big end so I need to dismantle the entire crankshaft arrangement.

I have tried to remove the crank shaft but it only moves about 1/2 to3/4 inch either way then comes up solid against something.

I am noy sure if it is just the flywheels that are stuck or something else.

Do you perhaps have any advise.

Thank you.

Noel Greeff

Hi, Noel. Basher is a pretty infrequent visitor here these days, but someone else might be able to come to your rescue. If you put your location in your profile settings, that might make it easier to find someone local to you. 

You can also find Basher's contact info by googling "Owen Bush" and "BushFire Forge".