I Forge Iron

my (failed) broken-back seax

Dabbsterinn

so, im not quite done with this one, but i'd still like to show you what i've done

so this is my attempt at a broken-back seax, i fear it's a bit too long, about 2.5 feet , it's completely blunt because it's intended to be used in the fighting in the viking group with my> axe.

im thinking about either just finishing driving the handle up on the handle, i haven't managed to do that yet because i took my vice up to my smithy last Monday because the new one my brother made for me wasn't working, so i didn't have one here at home to finish the handle, but im going there soon to take pictures of my smithy and clean up some knives i found lying around here, im also thinking about putting a pommel on it if the tang is long enough, i'd probably make it from one of our sea-fishing sinkers, im though unfamiliar with working with lead, but i doubt it will be much of a problem, 

post-29278-0-17932900-1372200025_thumb.p

Don't mess with the lead. It's way to soft for a pommel. And what's worse its quite bad for you. Plus it melts at just over 600*F if memory serves. You might want to just do a simple wooden handle. With pins going through it. How think is that blade?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think you made the right decision , by making two. As for the slipping wooden handle using a full tang is fine as you can use a braided wire that goes through the hole in the handle to fasten the braid to . The outside of the handle the braid can round the handle at an angle or flush together ,copper or silver add a niece touch.