I Forge Iron

ETD 150 for punches

I have a good selection of ETD 150 in 5/8 round that I am hoping to make eye punches and other struck tooling with. It's a 150,000 yield material, so should be pretty tough in this application. It takes a little work to forge out but I am managing. My question is the best way to quench and temper this material. Its a medium carbon steel, but a somewhat proprietary alloy is what my Google searches have been coming back with.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Elevated Temperature Drawn 150 or ETD 150 is a modified 4100 H steel made by Niagara LaSalle. It is developed by drawing the material while at an elevated temperature. The results from the process develop a high tensile strength and high yield strength with improved machinability. Other benefits to this steel are decreased residual stresses from cold working, hazards of quenching and tempering are gone, and the material has uniform properties from surface to center. It has Tensile Strength of 150,000psi, Yield Strength of 130,000psi a 10% elongation in 2”. This steel is commonly used for pinions, shafts, gears, axles, etc.

http://www.tellsteel.com/AlloyETD150RoundBar.html

Yup, that's what the google told me as well. I was hoping some of the metallurgical folks might weigh in with any additional thoughts. I'm guessing if I use a similar procedure to 4140 I shouldn't be too far off.

Yes, probably like 4140. And, after you've heated and worked it, it isn't very ETD anymore either.

The composition specs at that URL above are almost exactly the same as 4140 at onlinemetals. Might have a few points more carbon. Range on the ETD is .39% to .48% instead of .38% to .43% but that's splitting hairs as far as blacksmithing goes.

• 2 weeks later...

This grade has selenium as an intentional alloying addition which is very different from 4140. I'm not sure what the selenium does as I've never seen this element used as an intentional addition. I wouldn't go out of your way to get this material unless you can get it for free. If you do get some I'd expect that it will heat treat like a standard 4140.

Patrick