I Forge Iron

A good Anvil forging hammer

That is the toy I want to play with when I grow up... I have seen Chambersburg selfcontained hammers listed on machinery reseller lists before.. Bruce I think it is likely comparable to a 7 or 8B... I think I have seen them listed up to atleast to 2k fall weights;-) I don't trust my memory and neither should anyone else... but I think I remember seeing 10,000# selfcontained Chambersbergs... I want to have a summer camp for blacksmiths where I can forge anvils with them,

That is the toy I want to play with when I grow up... I have seen Chambersburg selfcontained hammers listed on machinery reseller lists before.. Bruce I think it is likely comparable to a 7 or 8B... I think I have seen them listed up to atleast to 2k fall weights;-) I don't trust my memory and neither should anyone else... but I think I remember seeing 10,000# selfcontained Chambersbergs... I want to have a summer camp for blacksmiths where I can forge anvils with them,

I talked to a blacksmith who worked at the steel mill where this and 2 others came from. he said the master blacksmith would sit in the tractor seat and give instructions, as other workers moved the steel. He said it was a 1500 lb hammer. the other 2 were 750 lb and 350 lb. They were still being used when the mil closed. The one in the picture was being used as recently as 10 years ago. The 350 is still in use.

I want to forge anvils on it too!

So...you own it now?

Ric

How much is that dog in the window?

The Erickson ranch is a museum. I don't think it is for sale. Like the dog in the window, it doesn't stop me from wanting to take it home:-)

It has to be 12 to 13' tall!! Where would you put that monster? Easier to build a forge and quenching facility next to it and forge anvils once or twice a year.

The local blacksmithing association was going to cast RR Rail steel anvils at a local foundry, Maybe they could arrange for forging anvils on this power hammer. They get a black smith to come in every year for work their blacksmith shop for the tourists. They may let us use it. we could see if we could round up the people who actually ran it. They have a lot of antique heavy equipment they could use to move the steel. It doesn't hurt to ask :-)