I Forge Iron

Auto body shop freebies - ideas needed

OK, I need some help. I had to have a door replaced on our van after a run in with a deer, and since its metal I told the body shop I wanted, even though I wasn't sure what I would actually do with it. Struck up a conversation with with one of the guys, he told me I could take more, actually said they had an issue with the person who normally gets it breaking in, and I think I could get all the doors, hoods fenders, etc I want, but I don't really know what the heck I'd do with them, unless I just traded it at the scrap yard or sold them for scrap. They also told me they do suspension work so I may be able to get some decent stuff there (springs, etc) so I would like to develop a good relationship with them.

So, anybody got any ideas for what this stuff could be good for? Hate to turn it down.

Any sheet metal project would work, Candle pans, candle cups, flowers, etc  You may have to take the sheet metal (you may not have much use for) in order to get the heavy metal that you can use.

Grab a car hood as they make great sleds come winter. Stack wood on them and they float on the snow. 

Glenn's right, car hoods make fine fire wood sleds, Spray it with pledge spray wax and it's really easy to pull.

Auto body steel is deep draw and very low carbon so it's easy on the press dies. It makes it easy to form in the shop, need a side draft hood? Something to use for a can weld? Being so low carbon it ought to etch nice and dark.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey, Eddie-

That's a great contact. You can buy an air chisel pretty cheap and convert all that 'junk' into good stock. I make a lot of roses from the body parts and tools from the suspension parts.

Let it sit in your shop for a couple days and let you mind work on it.

Stock that can get ruined is also a great time to try stuff for 'free'.

Dave

If you have access to a bunch of the sheet metal, it could dis-assembled to remove the supports and then flattened. Now you have the makings for a tin roof for the smithy. Just use as is or cut it into shingle size pieces. (grin)

You could try the metal folding technique that I am gettin the sruff together for. I can't remember the guy's name but you could look up metal folding on google.

That's Fold Forming Todd. the fellow who invented the technique is Charles Lewton Brain.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the suggestions. My wife has made large flowers in the past and I do need a hood. I only brought home our door, didn't feel pressured to take the other stuff, but didn't want to pass up free metal if it would be worth the effort to haul it home either.

I'll have to investigate the fold forming. I actually did some cold work this weekend making a cross shaped "cookie cutter" out of some thin sheet for my wife to use with her clay. I prefer forging, but some times working under the AC instead of in a hot barn can be tolerable : ) .

Posted · Hidden by Steve Sells, July 2, 2013 - spam
Hidden by Steve Sells, July 2, 2013 - spam

the chanel website does not even sell their bags on that website Christian Louboutin Sale The Parisian culture can be reflected in the contemporary and elegant designs of the Chanel fashion
Gucci totes tend to be popular by many folks all backgrounds, all of earnings brackets, and all of sexes, all around the world hotsalechristianlouboutinonlineoutlet.co.uk It a fresh look for Spring that will easily become the focal point of any outfit; it large enough to serve as a tote and carryall for those busy days ahead, and ruched details finish this piece for a somewhat casual style
Therefore, choosing a creative promotion suggestion and tactic seem for being the really important challenge according to its focus on customers the best christian louboutin outlet She knows, because she has obtained a single of them at a ridiculously reduced selling price a quantity of times back
From that moment, it seemed Marchesa was everywhere toryburchoutletonlineeshop.com One good example easily transportable properly Chanel sunglasses among the most expensive brands in designer shades
There are two Hermes bags in the store right now, no wait list required, but they are not in the budget category, although they are considerably less than Hermes retail prices Tory Burch Flats Or you could also give price to a handbag model if additional beautiful and popular celebrities pick them also when attending crucial situations of their lives
In fact, the ability accoutrement pieces accepted the abnormal medical spending as a woman Louis Vuitton Bags All of the Aveeno Sunscreen has got SPF 31 which they can use on your own facial skin and the body
If you spend enough time checking the market you will see the trends of what is most popular discount louis vuitton bags Step 3 Thorough Inspection - Look carefully to the brand logo using the lenses
I've had to give so much of my own emotions in order to try and conjure the same feelings, because obviously you try to relate it to your own life coachoutletonlinemall.com Products you can these cheap Chanel Bubble Bags sale will also amaze you, since the materials that are used to made the replicas are of rather high quality, which ensure you fabulous bags able to be used for many years to come
The first "Reloaded" TV spot will air early in the season, with new spots in development showcasing the Celtics' behind the scenes, preparing for games authentic chanel handbags MBT Sandals, a product of Switzerland, have been worn by a lot of celebrities in hollywood and also by individuals all over the world
The concept is heading and then for some of the best boat insurance policy that your pockets can afford newchanelbagssales.com But perhaps most significant of all are the inner compartments of the 2
Cartier frames from this website company can be extremely lower price monster ibeats When we be on the lookout at the good reasons they give you the,a quantity of us can fully grasp where these are just around the corner equally to and from Expenses we incur very traveling are increasing time of day on these kinds of basis as day
Vitally important to succeed in label and also badge attention, organisations are able to use promotional items which are witnessed by a few persons Chanel Chanel Purses energy at any time seriously acquiring commenced
In terms of scents, you'll have discovered Chanel N5 new chanel bags Produce throughout imagination, unveil single tiny component of chewing gum composite before starting avoiding blow drying; together with take care of almost every petal and even floral slashed you're making by means of saran gift wrap
The shade was surely less orange, but the smell was a bit more than the competition topchanelbagssale.com Be on the hunt for limited materials like Python, or handbags that have an interesting history like the original 2
Nonetheless, its also wise to keep in mind the fact as a consequence of enormous need that may be now there everywhere for brand spanking new Chanel totes, there are plenty of individuals who started off a niche with bogus or even repeat luggage, in addition also known as fake or maybe counterfeit carriers Dr Dre For Chanel, every solitary girl has to be qualified to create her very own personal particular person make up geared to her disposition
The particular developers for all time look closely at the particular bags' type and also usabilities Casque Beats First of all, dogs can sense attitude and tone of tone of voice superior than we can
Its one in every of thesesituations whereby the nature, i always enjoy, has got appreciated both sides ofhimself, due to there being basically no these detail as a possible villain as well as a protagonist inreal lifespan dr dre pas cher 55 more prized (and therefore fiercely guarded) than others, then you would expect its making to be done in the utmost secrecy
Chanel normally has one flagship store in selected countries, in part to maintain the uniqueness and high standing of the brand itself hotlouboutinshoesoutletonlineshop.co.uk And the most terrifying is that they increase in percentage