I Forge Iron

Hi from Burlington NC!

RSnip988

I've been reading up on blacksmithing for quite some time and finally got my forge & anvil setup!

I attempted to make some tongs the other day and only got one half of the tongs done.

I was tired and my elbow started hurting after a few hours, but it was a fun learning experience!

Glad to be part of the group.

RKS

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

There is a thread going on right now about the ergonomics of blacksmithing, you might want to check it out. There are ways to work this craft without hurting yourself. Elbow pain is usually a sign your hammering technique needs work. Sure it'll strengthen up and that may take care of it but proper technique will make a huge difference, it's far more important than strength. Things like anvil height, grip on the hammer, how you hold your hand on impact, when to stop, how to start etc. there are many factors that add up to good or bad technique.

The craft has an endless learning curve, enjoy the ride.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello, and welcome to the addiction!

The next statewide NCABANA meeting is June 29 at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds in Winston-Salem, and there are regular local meetings all around the state. http://www.ibiblio.org/nc-abana/ There is an active group in the Raleigh area.

Near the center of NC, Fourth of July weekend will have an auction, plus tailgating of lots of old tools and things under the trees at the Southeastern Threshers Reunion at Denton Farm Park. http://www.farmpark.com/ Bring a hand truck or wagon to retrieve your bulky purchases or be prepared to wait all day, no vehicles allowed in the gates 8-5. 

There are also two pickers/dealers of used anvils/vises/tongs that advertise on craigslist regularly, one near Charlotte (west of Lake Norman) in NC, the other in Pageland SC.