I Forge Iron

Stamp size

How are you going to apply it?  a good size for a press applied stamp may be way to large for a hand struck stamp.  How "busy" is it, the more "work" it has to do the more force it will need.  Will it be used on hot metal or cold?

The devil is in the details!

Big question.  I second the legible comment -lots of touch marks aren't and if they are, it's unclear what they're "saying".  People seldom include their city and state.  Unless you've got a good website, potential customers may need more to go on.  A lot of knife makers etch their mark.  

This will be hand struck, intend to use this in hot metal, though am interested if people feel cold is better. Small quantities of items I produce so no major manufacturing going on so one would last me years.

How are you going to apply it?  a good size for a press applied stamp may be way to large for a hand struck stamp.  How "busy" is it, the more "work" it has to do the more force it will need.  Will it be used on hot metal or cold?

The devil is in the details!

So you'd recommend the etching route?

I've etched Damascus is the process similar? Obviously I'd need a design to etch into the item but the steps are roughly the same I'd assume.

Etching works very well unless you are making purely forged knives where the detail would be out of place.

I really wouldn't worry about stress concentration in this instance. Have a look: http://courses.washington.edu/me354a/chap6.pdf

Sure, it'll take more to break something at an etched logo than a stamped one, but who here has ever seen a knife fail there? (As opposed to just repeating tales?)

Stress concentration is much more of an issue at the shoulder of the tang, as one can understand by reading the reference given.