I Forge Iron

Found my prize anvil, but what brand and how old is it? Can you help?

Guys---I think I bought a good one today and I don't think this is a "Mexican" anvil like the one I had asked you guys about before.  This one is a 150# anvil, no name that I can find but it does have the insignia "U68" stamped on the back side of the anvil (see picture).  This anvil has 150 embossed on one of the legs, and has (2) lag tabs for mounting it on its base.  The back mounting tab is off-centered to the front one that is centered to the anvil, not sure what the theory was on this when they made this one.  

I thought that this might be a Fisher, but I have a 70# Fisher from 1903 that has the Fisher name embossed in it with the number "7" stamped on one of the legs.  I have read the blogs here and it sounds like it could be a Fisher, but the U68 marking is throwing me a little bit.  It does sound like my 70# Fisher when I hit the face; it doesn't ring.  Do you guys have a clue what brand this is?  Is this a Fisher?

I paid $200 at the Estate Sale today, and it came with all the tools that are shown in the pictures and the oak mounting base.  The son of the farmer that was liquidating the estate said the anvil was "really old," but he did not know the date.  It is in really good shape, the edges on one side are close to new and the face of the anvil is extremely smooth with very little pitting or marking.  Has great rebound as well.  I could use some senior member advice as to what this is and a possible age---Thanks!

post-41472-0-60617500-1371184874_thumb.j

post-41472-0-54060600-1371184934_thumb.j

post-41472-0-86514600-1371185002_thumb.j

post-41472-0-84787800-1371185056_thumb.j

post-41472-0-63167700-1371185109_thumb.j

It is indeed a Fisher.  It was made between 1962 and 1979, during the years Crossley made the Fisher anvils.  The U68 probably indicates it was made in 1968.  Crossley used a wierd dating code that I am still trying to figure out.

Your anvil is in great shape, with very little use.  It was made by the same workers who made them prior to 1962 with the same materials.  Use it with care and it will last many generations.

The complete story of Fisher/Crossley will be out there when I finish my book on the company.  Stay tuned.

A pristine 150lb. Fisher and tools for $200 is something to brag about. Were it me I'd have bought a lottery ticket on the drive home in case the luck held.

Some of the tools are stone cutter's tools, no matter, good scores all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

Guys,

Thanks to everyone who made comments and helped identified that my new anvil purchase is a Fisher.  If you guys remember, several weeks back you all identified that my second anvil purchase for $40.00 was a "Mexican or Chinese" 75 pound piece of junk.  I know it was only $40.00, but it killed me that I was stupid enough to buy that anvil.  You know, it still has one heck of a rebound, though!

With this purchase I now feel like I have slightly redeemed myself.   Yet to be really honest, I have to tell you that I was really nervous shelling out $200 for all of this.  The Mexican/Chinese anvil debacle really scared me.  Here I had thought I knew how to test and recognize a good anvil from junk, and I bought that thing.   Let's just say I learned from that lesson and just appreciate all the support I have had reading these blogs and learning more about anvils and blacksmithing and finally find the size and quality that I have been searching for.  The Mexican/Chinese anvil can know go in my wife's landscaping plans!  

Thanks to everyone, appreciate the support.

While you don't need to redeem yourself in our eyes we certainly know how you feel, I'm pretty sure we've all bit on something sour. I left the ASO I bought with a shop where the guys think an anvil is something to use to torch stuff on. AND I have another sitting around here somewhere another fellow bought but couldn't bear to keep.

We've all done it. HOWEVER, not many of us get spanking great deals like you did. Next time I fly I want you sitting next to me!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty.  

You know, I really didn't know how lucky I was till I read everyone's comments.  I am not kidding you, when I was inspecting this anvil and couldn't find a name on it, I started to get really nervous.   It reminded me of my "Mexican/Chinese" anvil, because that one did not have a name on it, either.  Yet I kept trying to remember about the Blogs here on anvils when I was looking at this one, and also thinking about my 70 pound Fisher and how the face looked similar to this one.  I thought I was taking a pretty big gamble for $200 when I bought it, glad to hear it's a jewel.  

The Farmer's son's comments that it was "really old" may be a little off, as Anvilman says it is from 1968.  Yet I suppose if I ask my daughters if they consider something made in 1968 old, I surmise that they would agree.   I was a teenager in '68, and it just doesn't seem that long ago but I guess it is.  

You were probably right, I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday, but I am going to buy some today just in case my good luck is still hanging around!   Thanks for everything.

Not to worry, too much emphasis is placed on ring when it's rebound that counts. An anvil does it's work by resisting the inertia imparted by the hammer to the work and this is best indicated in a field test, by rebound. After all the steel isn't going to be scared into moving by a loud noise. <grin> It's an immovable backing that's going to have the  most effect and rebound is the far better indicator.

Ring is best generated by harmonics and a Fisher is high carbon steel on cast iron two materials with very different resonant frequencies so they damp against each other, making it go dink and quieting. Fishers are famous and highly desirable for being quiet anvils.

blacksmithing and iron/steel is a huge learning curve, you could study it from birth the rest of your life and not learn but a small fraction. Welcome to THE learning curve, enjoy the ride.

Frosty The Lucky.

If it works, it works, doesn't matter who made it. You mentioned that your "ASO" has great rebound, so don't discount it because it doesn't have a pedigree.

I keep telling people that there are still good buys out there, just keep your eyes open.  You did good, now get forging.

Did some work in a shop where the main anvil inside was a good anvil but had a lot of wear. Sitting outside the shop was a very large(guessing 350-400#) anvil in almost unused condition that someone had "unloaded" on the owner. The master smith doing demos in this shop showed the owner that he had a pristine Fisher and that it was an excellent anvil even though it didn't "ring". I heard he has now replaced the worn anvil in the shop with the big Fisher.

Not to worry, too much emphasis is placed on ring when it's rebound that counts. An anvil does it's work by resisting the inertia imparted by the hammer to the work and this is best indicated in a field test, by rebound. After all the steel isn't going to be scared into moving by a loud noise. <grin> It's an immovable backing that's going to have the  most effect and rebound is the far better indicator.

And the rebound can catch you by suprise.

One of the first times I beveled a knife blade, I missed the blade just by a fraction, hitting the anvil instead of the blade, and I almost hit myself in the face with the hammer. Only reason I didn't was that I was lucky enough it went past my face, inches from my head :)