I Forge Iron

Saying hi and my short sword

Frank B

I posted on the introductory section a few days ago, but this is my first post in a regular section so I thought I would say hi.  I have been reading here for a while and there sure is a lot of nice work being done.
  I have been making knives for sometime, but this is my first short sword. I forged out the blade 10 years ago and did the rough grind then hung it on the wall as I didn't think I had what it takes to finish the grinding on a blade this long without messing it up.
  With my regular job being slow I thought I would finish grinding it or destroy it trying. This was also my first attempt at forging a guard and wire wrapping a handle.  The blade is 5160, blued mild steel guard and pommel, nickel silver and copper wire wrapped handle.
             Thanks, Frank

post-31390-0-86244400-1371153730_thumb.j

post-31390-0-32394500-1371153739_thumb.j

The subject on your thread drew my attention immediately Frank. Saying hi with a short sword is oh so very Roman. Heck, not such a bad idea now, depending on the neighborhood, eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks on the nice words.

The blade length is 13.5 and 20" overall.  I have had a few offers to sell it, but no plans for it other to keep it oiled and show it off when people stop by.
   When I finished it I thought, this is great. I really felt connected somehow to the process of making a sword more than most of my metal projects and or making knives. But to be honest, it was a little stressful worrying if I was going to able to kept the grind line straight, right up to the last pass on the grinder. You guys that free hand grind those long swords, it's a real accomplishment.

• 3 months later...
Thanks on the compliments. I haven't been on the forums here for a while but have been getting the bug to start another short sword. I was thinking of something the same size as the first but with a  wider blade and little more rustic feel, with the center of the blade being left as forged as well as the steel forged guard and pommel.  I think I have most of it figured out except for how the "as forged" guard should look.  Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a real work of art and I guess function but that's hard to prove these days of relative peace and quiet and real nasty folk carry guns, still is a wonder to look upon.

I carry a knife and gun everywhere I LEGALLY can. I have NEVER used them nor have any intent. It's just for emergencies. I believe I am kind and generous honest. Can you still call me nasty?

This has already been covered, he was refering to the fact there are some un friendly people carring  guns, and a knife is... well lets just drop it.   I also strongly suggest you actually read the site ToS,  You had to legally sign that you read and agreed to follow them, Even if you didnt you will be removed next time you violate them you have been warned before. The rules here are being inforced more harshly after the past summers stupidity.

Frank the craftsmanship you show is beautiful. I also love the artistry you show to display your piece. And welcome to the forum!

Guest 569ec1a27ea4c874823ed052defdc5bc

I carry a knife and gun everywhere I LEGALLY can. I have NEVER used them nor have any intent. It's just for emergencies.  I believe I am kind and generous honest. Can you still call me nasty?

Adam, Glenn has already addressed this. This is not a political forum. Please STAY ON TOPIC! No more second amendment soap boxing!

Frank.  Love the clean lines and finish.  I almost always get the question "do you make horseshoes/knives?".  normally my answer is no, because I know what skill is needed.  yours gives me pause.  I like the look and feel of the short sword.  I has more real-time use potential than a claymore.  thanks for posting.  waiting on the next one