I Forge Iron

Can you Forge a Claw Hammer into a Cross Peen?

Now this is a question I have been asking myself for a while now. I have an old Claw Hammer, which is actually pretty new, that could serve me much better as a Cross Peen. I know this may seem absurd but I would sincerely like to know if anyone has tried it before, or anything similar. I am new to blacksmithing and I have so many questions, but I thought I might as well start with a good (difficult) question. I think, if it were attempted,that  you would have to ( Forge?) weld the claw side together and then forge them into a triangle shape, then heat treat and temper it. Again I am a complete Newbie to Blacksmithing but I am willing to learn!!!

Thanks Guys,

Jakob

P.S. Here are some photos of the Hammer:

post-40172-0-36271400-1371114566_thumb.jpost-40172-0-19521200-1371114602_thumb.jpost-40172-0-18238000-1371114638_thumb.jpost-40172-0-16205300-1371114678_thumb.j

Yes I can, No you probably can't until you get some skills under your belt.  Also clawhammers tend to be lighter than forging hammers with small faces.  So a task taking some pretty advanced skills to end up with a subpar forging hammer.  It would be easier to forge one from stock; say a nice beefy truck axle section. (check for hardenability before investing the effort!)

Yes I can, No you probably can't until you get some skills under your belt.  Also clawhammers tend to be lighter than forging hammers with small faces.  So a task taking some pretty advanced skills to end up with a subpar forging hammer.  It would be easier to forge one from stock; say a nice beefy truck axle section. (check for hardenability before investing the effort!)

And trust me once you have the skill you will have little interest in doing this.

Thanks for the replies guys. And Drewy I know I could go to any garage sale and pick up an old hammer, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it. I just retrieved an Old Brake drum from a car, that I intend to fix up into a Forge. It may take a while but I will get there some day... ;)

Jakob

My wife bought me a couple of old claw hammers at a flea market the other day, I didn't have the heart to tell they were not intended for what I needed. After a little pondering I turned the heavier one into a texturing hammer by cutting shallow grooves in the face, I plan to just cut the claws off.