I Forge Iron

Advice on anvil

Guest falcondob

Guest falcondob

Hello everyone. I am about as newbie to blacksmithing as they come (read never).

I have found an anvil I am considering buying. I understand no one can bless it just from pictures. However, I would like some comments before driving a couple of hours to look at it.

Seller states it is a 145# Trenton.

post-42123-0-13504700-1370730125_thumb.jpost-42123-0-15528000-1370730149_thumb.jpost-42123-0-12237700-1370730168_thumb.j

Any comments or advice based on these images? I have a couple more images if needed.

Should I wait and look for something else?

Thanks in advance,

John

San Antonio, TX

Trenton made in Columbus Ohio; considered a good brand.  Looks very usable.  Offer $200 then go to $250 if necessary or even $300 if you really need one.  That weight is a good size heavy enough to do real work yet not so hard to move around.

welcome aboard john, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be happy to find out how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I'm with Thomas, it looks to be a fine anvil with some use on it but generally in pretty good condition. I always counter offer and dicker.

Frosty The Lucky.

Guest falcondob

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

The seller is asking $350. That puts it at around $2.50/lb. Should I wait for something better/cheaper to come along?

John

Guest falcondob

Great, I will tell him I will take it. Thanks again to everyone. I am sure this is only the first of many questions.

Regards,
John

The dilemma with waiting to find a better anvil(or a better price) is you may have to wait a long time. It looks like a perfectly usable anvil and

will serve your purposes well.  It seems that $2.50 in Texas is a pretty reasonable price.