I Forge Iron

1st Bowie WIP

Savage

As the title states this is my 1st bowie attempt with a walnut handle, forged from a truck leaf spring. Still wondering what i should do with the gaurd if i should do a small brass one or gud old forged in a Z shape with nice little ball pein indentations on it. Since its not a hidden tang im not sure how to go abouts doing a gaurd but never the less im happy with the progress so far.

post-40224-0-29397300-1370695895_thumb.j

post-40224-0-00538300-1370696209_thumb.j

Next time try using an oblique or diffused light source, these pictures are glaring to the point of not being able to see any details of the blade. I can't see it well enough to have an opinion of the blade itself.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wot you do with a blade and how it works out depends on so many things,,for this think about the length of the blade and the leverage you could place on the area where you weld the guard on, A thought given above is worth thinking about....this would make a nice knife for the kitchen. No guard, some durable handle material well attached. Melons, meat etc would be no challenge.
If used by for hunting large game,,,backpacked in a sheath, it would be a nice partner for a skinner. Making chunks of meat into backpack size would be less of a chore.

Make a guardless bowie, or use a bolster of some sort to terminate the handle. I like guardless bowie-style knives, it allows you to choke up on the knife and do a little more controlled work. The blade looks nice, I do think you should probably have had a little more belly.

When you rub two bits of metal together, such as files and the blade they will sorta magnetize. I don't worry about it much. Just wipe the filings off with a rag.  As for the tang, experiments lend experience. You'll learn, just make sure that if you grind it down to be a narrow tang like that you leave a rounded shoulder and not a square one.