I Forge Iron

Black Oxide Bolts

I am working on another fire ring project but this time I need to have it bolted together. I thought a nice decorative fastener would be using square black oxide bolts. I have seen them referenced on the forum many times, but never anyone saying where they get theirs. I have seen them on ebay as well as Kayne and Son. I was just curious if there was another supplier out there that other people used and liked better. Thanks.

I second Blacksmith Bolt, used 'em for years.  A great resource, even if you don't buy anything you can learn a good bit about oddball fasteners by browsing their site.  http://www.blacksmithbolt.com

They ship via USPS so try and build up an order that makes the shipping worthwhile.  I have no affiliation with them except as  an occasional customer.  

My "ranch store" usually has black oxide grade 8 bolts in any size $ by the pound.  They are hex but I forge them square, pyramid, whatever.  Or you can buy the cheepies and remove the coating with a little muriatic acid. With a some ingenuity the hardware aisle becomes a playground.  Carriage bolts sure look like rivets to me.