I Forge Iron

high carbon steel for blade edges

Hi  this is my first time posting anything on any forum so if i am in the wrong place  please tell me . I have an almost unlimited supply of jis g 4805 suj 2 high carbon steel from bearing races that come from transmissions that i rebuild, free to me or they just go to the scrap yard . the question is has anyone used or have knowledge if the metal would be good for one damascus, or inset in axe heads for cutting edge?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. You're in the right place, no question. I'm pretty sure the stock you're salvaging is being used in blade but I'm not a blade guy. Not to worry the bade guys will chime in soon as they check IFI. Won't be long a'tall a'tall.

Frosty The Lucky.

This steel is very similar chemically to ASI 52100 which is often found in forged knives and there are losts of articles about forging and heat treating it. Probably not a good forge welding steel, a simpler steel like 1095 or 5160 will weld easily to mild steel. 1095 if requently used in pattern welded blades.

Mod comment, Mild is not recomended for use in any blade. not even pattern welded.

Heat treat it like 52100, the fun part is un-wrapping the races. :o Herb, I've seen a few books that recomend welding mild steel/1095 for a high/low damascus.  I'd never attempt it, not having power forging equipment invites carbon migration.  I have seen guys use 52100, I haven't tried it yet. 

Thank you for your feed back. I am very new to this blacksmithing thing "2 months" and having a blast. I am used to running a cnc machine shop and building transmissions on the side, I find this to be very soothing to the mind after dealing tolerances of +/-.001 all day long. I can come home and take a hammer and pound a chunk of steel.

The last knife I made was from a cracked chevy differential bearing from my brother's welding rig. The knife ended up in his sock drawer. That was over twenty years ago. Good non-corroding material. The hard part was drilling the holes to pin on the handle. Ornamental work tends to stay more visible.