I Forge Iron

Show your air supply

These are my personal demo bellows.

I also have a hand cranked blower and at my shop I use an old electric forge blower that was my fathers.

I have pumped a Spanish type Accordian bellows at a shop in St. Augustine,Fl and in Thailand I used a portable air compressor with homemade forge and burned native charcoal.

3027.attach

Neat set up, Beav. My motto: "If it works, use it till ya find something that works better!!!" :) Just a thought, though. Is that the outside wall of your home so precariously close to the back of you forge??? I hate reading about tragedy on this sight, Hint Hint ;)

For park demo's I use an old farm forge with the pump handle/ratchet belt driven blower mounted underneath. I also have a Canady-otto western chief pedistal mounted hand cranked blower I've set up to use on another portable forge I making from a free standing fire place.

3034.attach

3035.attach

The little Champion blower in the first pic is the one I use nearly all the time(often with a little electric fan as a 'helper'). I've looked, but I can't find any model numbers on it.

The blower in the second pic was given to me by a retired well driller from Ashland Kentucky. I think it was used for reshaping drilling bits with a forge. It's belt driven and puts out a lot of air. I don't use it often, but it sure comes in handy for big jobs. I just use a washing machine motor and v-belt to power it.

3073.attach

3074.attach

Darn, where's that LP???? Just kidding. Here's the blower I've been working with, a bit large but I will either lean a peice of sheet metal over the intake side to reduce the airflow or just crimp the metallic hose by hand to reduce the blast. Been working on the bellows for a little while now. Need to make a pattern for the Naugahyde I plan on using instead of leather. Even a small bellows gets kind of big once you put the upper and lower panels on and mount it in a frame.

Michael

3079.attach

3080.attach

Here's mine. It is a copy of the bellows I used while apprenticing. I made it in 1998 after getting tired of the noisy old blower I was using. I threw out that blower and have since aquired more, better quality blowers; I still don't use them, as I prefer the bellows.

3107.attach