I Forge Iron

Items to make as a test of ones skills

Hi: I have been working as a metalsmith for 34 years now, and can say that the hardest work is the work you are not used to doing, so try a different type of work, bigger , small , different metal , whatever you have not done before.

That said , try making one of these .

Daniel Tokar

The Willow Forge

Shepherdstown WV

post-41575-0-22580200-1369502748_thumb.j

post-41575-0-04744900-1369502790_thumb.j

post-41575-0-55568700-1369502855_thumb.j

post-41575-0-98824300-1369502911_thumb.j

post-41575-0-54738500-1369503136_thumb.j

Hi:

Thanks

I tell people I don't run a shop , but 50 different shops , each for one week out of the year.

The ball is hollow , made from about 4 feet of 3/16" round stock.

The helmet guard is mostly one 1/4"x 1 bar punched and split, no welds.

The ladle is mild steel and sterling silver.

I posted these as work that could be done with out much tooling. I get  a lot of oddball jobs and have  made lots of strange tools but it is fun to see what you can do with just a handful of common tools

Greetings Bike,

To answer your question on the candle holder...  The impressions and the twist was done prior to splitting... Needless to say it was not split with a chisel .  A close eye and a good portaban..

Try it

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm starting at suggestion one. This challenge was indeed excellent fun. Though the hardest part was definitely the chest itself.

I made a video of it all. I started with a beaten up pallet. The draw knife is one I forged myself for another project.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-mt5LKmPc

As ever I'd appreciate constructive criticism.

Cheers
Andy

I'd like to see a treasure chest, where you actually rivit straps over the curved top and build corners and everything from scratch from the rivits, to the corners, to the straps to the latch/lock and hinges. as for the video, The project is cool, the video itself could use some work. A lot of off center action, and out of shot action. I can't critique the smithing as I don't know enough yet to voice my opinions on that.

I'd like to see a treasure chest, where you actually rivit straps over the curved top and build corners and everything from scratch from the rivits, to the corners, to the straps to the latch/lock and hinges.

Do you mean like this one? Made by one of our members, Keith Mahoney, (who also happens to be secretary to the UK's National Blacksmiths Competition Committee) It was seen at various UK shows on the NBCC circuit in 2012 (for details of this years shows go to www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk and see similar quality items on display at them)

post-816-0-03364600-1371156240_thumb.jpg post-816-0-94803000-1371156450_thumb.jpg post-816-0-78917000-1371156498_thumb.jpg post-816-0-79757200-1371156544_thumb.jpg

I've been fascinated with the process used in 18th century to produce rifle barrels. Have not got one completed yet but we have a skelp welded up out of old buggy tires ready to begin welding into a tube. Of course this is not a one man project. I'm fortunate to have a good friend with a well equipped shop who is willing to offer his shop and experience for this project. It sure has been fun so far. This to me seems quite a challenge.

Here is a fairly basic chest I made. It is made form old packing lumber I hand planed. Hand cut dovetails. I made the hardware and some of the nails, the rest were antique nails recycled from an old cider press. I didn't make the lock, someday? I use it for a shooting box for my flintlock rifles.

post-41590-0-40352600-1371164837_thumb.j

post-41590-0-10293500-1371164856_thumb.j

post-41590-0-69399800-1371164882_thumb.j

post-41590-0-62784200-1371164924_thumb.j

post-41590-0-49526600-1371164949_thumb.j

Excellent David. Far better than my attempt!

I'd sure appreciate some more feedback on the video guys. I know I've still got a lot to learn.

Judson, that's precisely the point isn't it? I'd love to be able to make a living from it but as you can quite clearly see I'm a long way off from that yet. As I see it the only way to improve is through repetition and setting myself challenges.

Next on the list is a nicer set of bolt tongs.

Cheers
Andy

When I was a maintenance mechanic at a factory, I used my lunch breaks and a half hour after work every day to make a youth air rifle for my son. I copied a chinese one my friend had. Well, I didn't copy it, I just used it to figure out how they work. The barrel was off an ancient .22 that I didn't consider safe to shoot anymore. It's 20 years old now and I just rebuilt it for my 12 year old. I purposely made it with a big enough piston and strong enough spring to go hunting with. So my 12 year old has the only youth rifle in the world big enough for rabbits and squirrel. It will punch a hole clear thru 1/2 in ply. and almost thru 3/4 pine. lol It's a little rusty because I had to use cold blue but it's still just as accurate and powerful. The scope dovetails were the hardest part. milling a 3/8 dovetail on a round tube was really difficult! Now I want to get as good with blacksmithing as I used to be with machine tools. I'll get there one day.

Do you mean like this one? Made by one of our members, Keith Mahoney, (who also happens to be secretary to the UK's National Blacksmiths Competition Committee) It was seen at various UK shows on the NBCC circuit in 2012 (for details of this years shows go to www.blacksmithscompetition.co.uk and see similar quality items on display at them)

attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney 1.jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (1).jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (2).jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (3).jpg

Yes and no, Yes as in the straping and details, no as it it doesn't incorporate the wood part of the project. My long term goal is to make two chests for my boys to serve as toy chests in their youth and keepsake/storage chest when they get older.

Here is a fairly basic chest I made. It is made form old packing lumber I hand planed. Hand cut dovetails. I made the hardware and some of the nails, the rest were antique nails recycled from an old cider press. I didn't make the lock, someday? I use it for a shooting box for my flintlock rifles.

Thats beautiful simplicity right there. and almost exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm torn on the curved top as the chests I want to make could make really cool coffee tables if I make them right... HMMMMM

Yes and no, Yes as in the straping and details, no as it it doesn't incorporate the wood part of the project. My long term goal is to make two chests for my boys to serve as toy chests in their youth and keepsake/storage chest when they get older.

Thats beautiful simplicity right there. and almost exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm torn on the curved top as the chests I want to make could make really cool coffee tables if I make them right... HMMMMM

I'd love to see your designs for that? Cool idea!

The best test of one skills are going to be in the making of something you don't see anyone else doing. That is to say the best test will be to do something you've never done before and requires a lot from you and additionally won't readily give to outside help. ;) Those are always the hardest projects. But without tackling something hugely difficult I like the ideas so far.

The chest is a great idea as mentioned.

Shackles, gates, hinges, trellis', and my personal favorite roses. A lot of smiths can make a rose, but making one that looks really good takes a lot of patience and skill. -And you can put a rose on virtually anything from a candle holder to a gate and it will greatly add to the quality.

Hi: I have been working as a metalsmith for 34 years now, and can say that the hardest work is the work you are not used to doing, so try a different type of work, bigger , small , different metal , whatever you have not done before.

That said , try making one of these .

Daniel Tokar

The Willow Forge

Shepherdstown WV

What is that blue thing!? That looks really cool. Anytime I see really nice color my eyes open up. I'm probably part squirrel.

Check out this treasure box I made years ago.. looks like it should be next to your blue sphere.

post-4647-0-98879600-1371292493_thumb.jp

post-4647-0-77187100-1371292535_thumb.jp

post-4647-0-77452200-1371292555_thumb.jp

attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney 1.jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (1).jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (2).jpg attachicon.gifChest by Keith Mahoney (3).jpg

That thing looks incredibly heavy and stout. I imagine if you drop it on your foot it is game over!

Your pic #4 : a very elegant solution. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a pretty simple chest I made out of old packing crate pine. I hand planed the rough lumber and made the moldings with old wooden hand planes. Hand cut dovetails in the corners. I made the hardware and some of the nails. Some of the nails were antique hand forged nails from an old cider press I repaired. Not very elaborate but some different skills involved for beginner like me.

post-41590-0-69794900-1371421574_thumb.j

post-41590-0-16605800-1371421589_thumb.j

post-41590-0-80594000-1371421629_thumb.j

post-41590-0-53578200-1371421735_thumb.j