I Forge Iron

Giveaway items

Well I scored 2 more leaf over springs at another shop last week. At the rate its taking me to make a single knife, with 4 springs I should be good for a while. Still need some coil springs and maybe an axle or two so I'll keep asking as I find oportunities.

I was really thinking a small knife would be the way to go for giveaway, because what guy doesn't like knives,  but now I'm not so sure about making 1 or more to give away. I wouldn't feel right about giving them a knife I wouldn't carry myself, which means no short cuts, no lesser quality, and right now, with my current equipment and skill level, that just too many hours invested (plus I want to make knives for my Dad, son and a few others for x-mas, I figure if I start now, I may get them done in time LOL).

Maybe a mild steel letter opener? I have made one out of 1/2 sq, hammered on the diamond for a pointed double edge shape, then a rope twist handle that looks pretty decent, and not to hard to make.

Pics?

Here's a pic I had on my cell. Not the best but you can get the jest of it. It was my 1st and only attmept thus far, but is not a long or hard project to do. I left it as forged other than a quick pass along the edges with the flap disk in the angle grinder. Does its job on letters.

post-37148-0-71817200-1370279867_thumb.j

That looks real good Eddie.  I wouldn't be giving those away unless it's a case of getting something good or useful in return, or if it's a gift as you mentioned.  You might consider making small knives out of old files which is faster.

Last time I was at a pawn shop getting a handful of wrenches, the guy there asked me if I'd made any of them into jewelry.  That not really my thing so I hadn't considered it, but if someone wants me to make something and will pay for it I'm good with that.  Here's my first attempt at one made into a bracelet, I need to come up with a better way of shaping & sizing it.

post-34362-0-72116400-1370282592_thumb.j

On my anvil stand I have large eye bolts on either side of the anvil.  I was thinking I could fabricate a clamp of sorts to use these to hold a twisted wrench over the anvil's horn to shape the bracelet.  My attempts just holding it w/ tongs & shaping it didn't work out so well yesterday, I resorted to the vise and pliers.  Zanshin, if you come up with a better method let us know.

Have you tried making a long hold fast? Gordon Williams welds a piece of strip stock across the end of his so they are as wide as the anvil face. I've adopted and adapted them slightly, on sight. I use a slightly rounded foot so it doesn't mark the work.

Anyway, making a hold fast long enough to reach the horn and shaping the foot so it fits the wrench might work for you.

Another thought after taking another look at the bracelet suggested to my mind a pair of fitted tongs, like box jaws. Wrench jaw tongs?

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking of something of the sorts.  I need to devote time to making tools and quit dragging my feet.  Time is limited, but the time saved in the long run would justify it.

I also have a piece of pipe that is slightly flattened and has a length of square stock welded to it.  I could try next time holding the bracelet on the pipe and hammer it around it, one jaw ontop of the bracelet another thru the pipe...

You gotta love the problem solving mindset smithing forces you into!

Oh yeah, I LOVE brainstorming problems. How about just making a bender? A piece of the appropriate sized pipe on a hardy shank. a piece of flat plate for a base with a stop pin. Then a bending wrench, kind of like a scrolling wrench but with a ring that fits over the pipe and a dog to put leverage on the "victim" wrench. Heat the wrench, drop it between the stop and swing the bending wrench. Hmmmm?

Now I'm thinking wrench bracelets, I think I'll make one with a bottle opener. I REALLY like multi taskers you know.<grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Now you're talking.  The 2nd one I made had a bottle opener, but I didn't twist the middle and was surprised that without the twist it wasn't comfortable to wear. 

I thought about a bender or mandrel of sorts, but then thought about how to use the horn.  Of course someone has already solved this one before and searching the forum might be in order at this point.  Quick search didn't find anything but a reference to a bought bender. 

Could take a large piece of pipe, cut a long V out of it so it tapers and can make different sizes, then weld back together, flatten a little and weld a hardy shank to it.  Then weld a bar running the length of it to use as a stop pin that you slide one end of the bracelet under.  That all wouldn't be too hard.

The twisted one was more comfortable, eh? I didn't see that one coming.

How about this, bend a little dog leg in a bar so it will make the step from the fact to a bit above the horn and long enough to go it's whole length. Then you can fasten it with a stout hold fast. Now you have a stop over a long tapered mandrel so you only have to slip the hot wrench end between horn at the desired diameter and stop and bend it on round.

Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, that was kinda what I was thinking of with the horn, though hadn't thought of securing it with a hold fast and your idea would be superior as I could utilize a spring loaded hold down for the face.  Thanks!  I'll upload some pics once I get it fab'd.

Yeah, I'm thick in the head. I need sketches for all of these ideas for me to understand what the hell you're talking about!
I can never visualize stuff like this when people try and explain things to me.  I need nice big pictures, and demos to fully grasp the meanings.

I like the idea of a bottle opener/bracelet though. I just need to find a wrench small enough to be comfortable.