I Forge Iron

Video: forging a Brian Brazeal hammery eye punch top tool

Hey Guys,

on friday I forged a Brian Brazeal hammer eye punch top tool.The first one I ever forged under just my own supervision. With Henrick Stark as my striker. Stock material was L6 thermodurable tool steel (56NiCrMoV7) in 1" round.

I hope you enjoy the video =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nCETra-GCMU

Btw not all steps are shown entirely!

Yours

- Daniel

Thank you for posting the video Daniel. I always learn from watching others at the forge. My only comment would be to use a large center punch and mark the location to be punched before heating the billet. But then that's me and how I do such things. Yours came out very well so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Aren't Brian's sliter punches a joy to use?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for posting the video Daniel. I always learn from watching others at the forge. My only comment would be to use a large center punch and mark the location to be punched before heating the billet. But then that's me and how I do such things. Yours came out very well so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Aren't Brian's sliter punches a joy to use?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes they are a joy to use, that´s why I use them too  ;)

Hi Daniel, Only thing that I noticed that i would change is to work the metal hotter, much easier!

Oh, and whats with the sissy sledge? ;)

Josh

Yes I was actually suprized quite a lot how dark it was in the video. I´ll try to heat it up hotter next time. I´ll also have to get a heaver sledge, yes.