I Forge Iron

Where to buy coal in Ohio?

Mt Eaton Ohio is south on I77. Then cut over to US Rt 250 anyway you feel. The blacksmith supply store is just south of town. They sell everything you'd need.

Search for Yoder's Blacksmith Supply Fredricksburg OH. I can't tell you how to get there, I don't know the names of all the roads. It is just inside the Holmes County line heading south on St Rt 421 I think it is...or maybe 412...or maybe it's 241. I have no clue. No clue. I visit there frequently, but please don't ask me how to get there. I just do it.

They stopped selling bulk coal. It is in bags now. Pretty good stuff,,,,,used it for years.

The other place is RIGHT ON US 250, just East of Apple Creek not far from Yoder's. Coalway is the name. It's the same thing and in 50# bags too.

I looked when I was there again Sat. You want St Rt 241 SOUTH of Mt Eaton, about 7 miles.

12.00 per 50# bag. It is from a seam in PA. Soft coal. Pretty small chunks, like the size of an almond and smaller. Probably called pea sized I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Ethan,

Check the Blacksmith Gazette page you refer to. There is a note, at the top, that informs the reader that some of the references are up to 15 years old. I know, I put several of them in there 12 years ago.Use the references but check to see if the sources are still in business, (& selling coal/coke, etc.). The Gazette ceased publication several years ago too.

Hope you make out o.k.

SLAG.

Phone book Ethan look them up in the yellow pages, NOT the internet.

I'd like to be more help but I have NO IDEA where you are or who Dennis is. My Brother Dennis passed away almost two years now so  he's no help. If you put your general location in the header someone who lives just down the road from you may know. Unfortunately nobody knows where you are.

Frosty The Lucky.

14 minutes ago, Shamus Blargostadt said:

I don't know where in Ohio you are but just across the border in Chippewa, PA I buy mine for $7/50lb bag at "The Coal Yard".  They hold weird hours. If you happen to go and nobody is there, take your coal and leave money in the office on the desk (their instructions)

Shamus, did you ever check out Gillespie coal yard in Fayette City? No bagged coal but it was around $80. A ton for bituminous coal. He should be open again soon or now. His usual customers are home heating type but I was talking with him about blacksmithing last time I was there and he seemed interested. Nice guy. 

17 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Shamus, did you ever check out Gillespie coal yard in Fayette City? No bagged coal but it was around $80. A ton for bituminous coal. He should be open again soon or now. His usual customers are home heating type but I was talking with him about blacksmithing last time I was there and he seemed interested. Nice guy. 

I'm way up in Ellwood City so Fayette is around an hour and a half from me. That sure is a nice price though. If they sell smaller quantities it might be worth the trip. I'll give them a call. Thanks for the tip!

The coal yard does sell what they call blacksmithing coal, basically the smaller egg-sized bituminous.  There was another place I noticed last week, between Chippawa and the Ohio border that had a sign for anthracite "smokeless" coal.. I'm guessing it's going to be more expensive even if suitable for smithing. 

Can't say I've used too many other types of coal other then to try some of the tractor supply anthracite which I still have most of that sitting in bags. I don't get much large clinker from it. He said its Connelsville coking coal. I've had good success with it. Deffinately get the washed coal and tell him your blacksmithing with it and he will get you or point you to the better sized washed coal. 

Thompson Coal in Springfield, OH (330-549-3979) sells a highly recommended Kentucky met coal.  I haven't used it as I am still using up what I have so I can't comment on how it burns.  However, the pres of the PA ABA is who recommended these guys to me so it has to be good coal.  I called them a couple of weeks ago and I think it was something like $200 a ton bagged.

On 10/3/2016 at 7:37 PM, Ethan larson said:

I live in Ohio but I am willing to make a drive to get some good coal.

Wellington ohio

In lorain

Hey, I live in Oberlin!

I've been using rice coal (anthracite) from the Tractor Supply Company in Amherst.