I Forge Iron

Local welding Shops/places to get scrap

Atlanta here, 

I am in the process of building my forge and i am ordering steel for the piping for it online; and that same website is the same place im getting my starter steel, 

Seeing how expensive this can be, I want to know if there are any local welding shops in the North Atlanta/Alpharetta area where i can purchase scrap metals and such,

Zip code is 30022.

Some one has got to be around me

Construction sites, fabricators,, welding shops, are good places to start. Steel supply companies many times cut to length and have drops. Junk yards have the master mix of things that can be used for blacksmithing.

Don't forget automotive, truck and industrial repair for medium carbon scrap (broken or warn out steering linkage, springs, torsion bars, sway bars,"S" cams and shafting) and large machine shops can be a sorce of high carbon drops. You may be surprised at what a walk around the neiborhood will net you. Large bolts, old tire irons, scraps of rebar ( yes lots of advice against using this stuff but its good for practice and due to the use of higher carbon scrap and code requirements the newer stuff is fairly consistent, and the old square stuff just might be your introduction to wraught iron) and such. Bed frames are somthing I allways snag. My dad hates the stuff because its harder to drill and cut, but it's nice (and free), strong light angle for fabrication projects, and makes nice weed getters for dandilions and such. Junk shops may have old tools that can be re worked. Old hammers, old chisels splitting wedges pry and wrecking bars all offer materials that can be forged into new tools. As you get a hang for scrounging youl start spotting stuff all over. Just hide your scrap pile from the neibors and the misses.

Muffler shops are great sources for forge plumbing. My air supply up to the air grate is welded exhaust pipe, the ash dump is an exhaust flap cap clamped tot he bottom and counter weighted to stay closed unless I give it a flip with a pair to tongs, stock, hammer or whatever's in hand.

Some custom shops, say sign, fencing, door, etc. shops use consistent stock and have drops they may be willing to let go for cheap. A box of donuts maybe, at worst it's good PR. <wink>

In short, any business that uses or processes steel will have rems.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of our local steel suppliers has a rem room. All the material in this room is mark at big discounts. Perhaps you have a simular supplier there. Also we have a scrap yard who pulls items like tubing, pipe, plate and angle iron for resale at $.20 lb above scrap price.