I Forge Iron

First Belt Grinder on its way!

Just want to share the news and my excitement. I just got the last of money i needed to order my belt grinder. Email sent out, now i can't wait. I decided upon the Coote with a 10" wheel, and a glass platten. Found out one of my friends has the machine and can't be happier with it, even after using promachines at a local hammer in. I have used it before, and liked it, after researching for the past year or so, and doing all of the work with a cheap 4" by 36" belt sander, i figured it was time. Thanks for all the help you guys, and this forum have given me!

Darren,

Forgive me if I've asked this before, but a Coote with a DC treadmill motor is on my revolving, ever evolving, to-do list. I've stripped out a motor, but I haven't bought the grinder yet.

That said, did you scavenge the variable speed from the treadmill, or did you buy a new unit?

How complicated was it to get the motor running like you wanted it?

Any thing you'd do different?

Thanks,

Don

• 4 months later...

Sorry Don.....haven't looked back at this thread for a bit. We simply replaced the motor from a table saw.....Used table saw is my grinder bench.....Replaced the blade with a pulley and mounted the grinder on the Saw deck. We stepped the whole ratio down 4:1 as the top speed on the treadmill motor was 6000RPM. This allowed us 1500RPM on the drive wheel. Only thing I would do different is not using V belts as they offer a bit of vibration at various speeds.....And make good and sure you keep the motor and circuit board dust free.....Burned one circuit board by allowing grindings in. Hope this is not way too late and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I just bought mine with a 8 inch. contact wheel. I'm going to put a 2hp engine with stepped pulley on the engine and the grinder. That should give me 6 speeds. I will put pictures later. I want to highlight the excellent customer service at Coote. Thank you Norm!