I Forge Iron

What do Blacksmiths drive?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, don't really consider myself a blacksmith but here goes; I drive a 2005 Chevy Aveo, my wife has a Pontiac Bonneville, 99. When I need to haul some tools i have an 89 Ford F150.  I do have brother in law envy, one has a 64 corvette, fully restored and the other has a 69 Road Runner with a 426 hemi, factory stock. No pics though.

Fred

My current project which will hopefully soon be finished and a daily driver is a 55 early Chevy pickup.  This is where any extra money I make from blacksmithing goes.  I had to forge a custom linkage from the shifter to the transmission after doing a disc brake conversion, as well as modifying some of the brackets.

post-34362-0-83311600-1367252340_thumb.j

thanks HW :) i dearly love it myself

wayne - its  along story, but its a fire service 1950s bus, which WAS a school bus, put onto a bedford rl 4x4 chassis... that wooden mollycroft top was added later , but makes all the difference. boot like a bedroom, my dogs use as a holiday kennel :)

2005 Duramax 2500 - Aluminum flatbed with 2" cottonwood planking. 

190ish, modified Polaris 6x4 bringing out camp. My main scrounger.

post-4684-0-88167600-1367258148_thumb.jp

Other modes of transport, Aluminum drift boat for collecting wrought iron. Cleaning up on the Big Blackfoot a couple of weeks ago. 

post-4684-0-01016100-1367258450_thumb.jp

Not he best shot, but this is our knock-around truck. 63 Jeep J-200 3/4 ton Thriftside. Original OHC 230 CI engine with 3speed stick.

I had one of those, ... nearly 40 years ago.

Used about 2 quarts of oil per 100 miles.

I hope, by now, someone has found a cure for the valve seal issue ..... :P

I had one of those, ... nearly 40 years ago.

Used about 2 quarts of oil per 100 miles.

I hope, by now, someone has found a cure for the valve seal issue ..... :P

That 230 OHC "Tornado" was not a long lived engine - besides leaky valves, they also ate camshafts. Probably why most people repower with a small block V-8 if they are able.

My 1990 Ford Ranger has just over 300,000 miles on it. A little preventative maintenance goes a long long long way. :) :) :)

Yup. My '93 Dodge Ram 250 5.9L diesel will hit 364,000 tomorrow.  Here's the only presentable view....

post-29018-0-64870200-1367291650_thumb.j

66 chevy c10 with the original 327. Paint aint pretty but it runs good and is easily repaired

There's something to be said for one that you can still work on.  Love that year Chevy truck!  My Chevy 55 1st is now only part truck.  The 350 engine, 400 hydra tranny and disc brakes came from a '74 Camaro, then Saginaw power steering.

its a fire service 1950s bus, which WAS a school bus, put onto a bedford rl 4x4 chassis... that wooden mollycroft top was added later , but makes all the difference. boot like a bedroom, my dogs use as a holiday kennel :)

AND THE WINNER IS ...

My main ride: 

My once-a-week ride:

My former ride (for ten years, before I met a particularly pedantic cop):

My coal hauler (good for about 600lbs):

My minivan, not pictured, can haul more but then I have a coal storage problem ;-).