I Forge Iron

Leaking Acetylene Tank

Kathy

I realized yesterday that my acetylene tank (B size) was leaking, so I put the cap on it and set it outside.  I'm now faced with the dilemma of having to drive a leaking tank in heavy traffic for about 45 minutes tomorrow to return it to where I purchased it.  My question is this:  Is it safe to open the valve and just let all the acetylene leak out (outdoors) before putting it in the car?  I just got the tank last week so it's pretty full.

:( how annoying.. if you dont have an open truck you better empty it .. make sure you get a free replacement though !! :) or ring dealer and ask them what they want you to do, then they know you havent used it up...

DO NOT TRANSPORT IN A CAR!!

Call the dealer you purchased the bottle from and have them pick it up with a replacement. Not sure about where you are from but it is against the law to transport gas bottles in a car here in TX. If you have to transport you bottle then borrow a pick-up from a friend and secure the bottle in the cargo area of the truck, preferably in the corner upright.  Good luck.

DO NOT TRANSPORT IN A CAR!! Call the dealer you purchased the bottle from and have them pick it up with a replacement. Not sure about where you are from but it is against the law to transport gas bottles in a car here in TX. If you have to transport you bottle then borrow a pick-up from a friend and secure the bottle in the cargo area of the truck, preferably in the corner upright.  Good luck.

Call the Dealer for a replacement they will do a pick up on the bottle do so quickly so you get a full replacement . it is the same here in Tennessee . unless it is secured on a trailer,truck or an open location the vehicle. also in a truck box if well vented .

Sam 

Never NEVER transport a flammable gas bottle in a closed vehicle!

Call the supplier and tell them to come with the replacement. If they give you any static mention the liability THEY incurred when they LET you load it in your CAR in the first place AND they sold you a leaky bottle! I wouldn't drain it first either.

On your end When does it leak? All the time or only when you have your regulator on and the bottle turned on? It's pretty common for lugs to just reef on the valve to turn it off. The bottle valve is a precision valve and only needs firm pressure to seal but if reefed on it'll damage the seats and leak. Same happens with the regulator connection, if it gets reefed on to tighten the reg to the bottle it'll damage the seats and leak.

take a close look at the seats on your rebulator, you may need to replace it. Most suppliers here will do it no charge or materials only. Acet is just too dangerous to let it go and if word gets out you took a leaker to them and they sent you packing. . . BAD on THEM!

As to transporting flammable gases in a closed vehicle, it is a federal reg I believe saying NEVER. Campers and such have the bottles in open compartments not directly connected with the interiors.

Frosty The Lucky.

DO NOT VENT THE TANK. The tank can only release so much gas per period of time otherwise it becomes unstable (read risk of explosion).

When checking for leaks only use soap and water.  

Leaking tanks are an accident looking for a time and place to happen. Screw the valve closed and use soapy water to check for leaks. If no leaks then attach your regulator and hose and check again using soapy water. Bubbles will indicate a problem. Take the tank outside until you have determined where the leak is located.

Call the dealer with the results of the soapy water test. Have them pick up and replace any leaking tank.

acetylenetruckexplosion.jpg

This incident happened on Monday the 29th of September 2003. A fitter with a work van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene cylinder on the back seat of a Toyota dual cab over the weekend. The Acetylene cylinder valve was not fully closed and a leak occurred. Reference firefighternation.com

I got the tank from a jewelry supply company, not a welding company, so they don't deliver or pick up.  

What happened is after turning the tank off and opening the hose to dispel all gas, the regular went down to zero as normal.  But after about 30 minutes, it popped back up.  So I again bled the hose, etc.  It continued to happen so I removed the torch and reinstalled it, checking with soapy water for leaks.  There were no leaks.  I did this about 3 times, thinking maybe there was something wrong with the way I was connecting the torch.  But after removing it the third time, I smelled the tank valve where the gas comes out and it was a very strong acetylene smell coming out of the tank.  That is when I popped on it's plastic cap and put it outside.  

I know the supplier won't come pick it up, but I will call them in the morning to see what they want me to do about this.  We do transport our tanks in our cars here in Georgia, and I've never heard it was against the law.  I've been using acetylene for about 8 years (jewelry) and have never had a problem like this.

Thank you for all your replies!  

Well, Georgia is in the USA and there for it is against the law to transport in a car...consider yourself very fortunate so far.  I have also seen trucks like the one Glenn pictured above that were owned by welders with years of experience in the field, it just takes one.   Not to be a smart mouth but when folks ask advice about something this dangerous and then don't heed the warnings just doesn't make sense to me. Still wish ya good luck.

Thomas, I didn't mean to offend you.  I truly did not know it was illegal to transport an acetylene tank in a car.  I ended up calling Chemtrek's hotline for advice and the guy there told me to call my local fire department, which I did.  The fire department said it should be fine sitting outside overnight until I can deal with it tomorrow.  

Thanks again.

Not really as an offended Member We folks here in the IFI site try to help folks out and provide the Best information to the question asked and do not advise things that could get another member Killed . we like to protect all of our members if we can with any advise we give . as it is always sad to lose someone by an accident that could have been prevented . Please be very careful by transporting your tanks as we do not want to read about you in the obituaries . 

Best Regards and Prayers sent your way

Sam

Just think if it is leaking now..  It could have leaked when you brought it home in you car the first time....   Your lucky....    Call the dealer and make them aware of the problem....   Put it outside out of harms way for a week.....    Do not transport in your car.... Borrow a trailer or  pickup...

Be smart

Jim

Kathy, I assure you no offense was taken. Sam nailed it by stating that we here on IFI don't want ANYONE to get hurt if WE can prevent it. Smart thinking to call the FD for their take, those folks have my deepest respect for what they do. Hope all this works out good for you and do let us know the end result.

BTW,  HOWDY from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!!  Glad you are here and we REALLY like seeing pictures of people's work! so post some in the future for us please. Also, if you would give us an idea of the general location in GA that you are in. Shoot, we may want to stop in for a cup of coffee sometime ;)  Anyway, glad you are here and look forward to seeing and reading more about you and your work.

Kathy: We don't have so many friends we can aford to lose one if we can help it. Call the FD again and ask for the number of the pertaining laws and regs. THEN call the jewelry supply and let them know the score. THEY supplied a faulty acet bottle it is THEIR responsibility. They WILL hot foot it right over and exchange it for a safe bottle or call a lawyer. Believe me the ambulance chaser variety will just love to get their hands on this one. Just letting you put a compressed flammable gas cylinder in your car will have them shut down permanently. Even if nobody is hurt or property damaged.

Drop by a welding supply and check out the "FatalGrams" involving flammable gas. My supply won't let me load oxy in the SUV.

Here you go. Sorry it's a really long link but says it all.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=11&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=Fatalgrams%20&pq=fatalgrams&cp=31&gs_id=95s&xhr=t&q=Fatalgrams%20acetylene%20explosion%20in%20vehicle&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Fatalgrams+acetylene+explosion+in+vehicle&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE&fp=4e5c15bf36078722&biw=1280&bih=612

Frosty the Lucky.

Just an update.  I called the supplier and told him about the leaking tank.  He said this happens all the time and wanted me to reattach the regulator/torch which would stop the leak and bring it back in.  I told him I am too uncomfortable driving this tank anywhere in my car from all I learned here online, and he said he would come and get it tomorrow and bring me a replacement.  

Well done Kathy! Heck, you might want to do a soapy water test while he's there, in case he has to bring you another one.

Of course you need to come up with a safe legal way to transport cylinders or they're unlikely to sell to you again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Last year I started using a new dealer to do my tank exchange with, I made six trips back and forth with tanks that had leaking valves. They kept telling me to just open it all the way, to just crank the packing gland nut down tighter, finally I just told them to give me a tank with a decent valve on it, not one with a piece of junk on it! When I got there with my sixth tank they had a tank there with a new valve on it. My tank is almost empty again and I now looking for a new dealer to do business with. Some of these guys will put your life in danger just to make and extra few cents, good on you for standing up for your right to a safe tank. The USDOT demands it of them.

Kathy ,

good to hear you are having it replaced and with out danger to you . God Bless you for sticking to your Guns on this situation. and I did forget Welcome to the Family of IFI please post some of your Fine work we would love to see some of it .

Sam

One more update!  I decided to call around to welding supply companies after my previous post and I got lucky!  I found a nearby dealer who said they are willing to deliver to a residential area for $19.00.  They came the next day and picked up the leaking tank and gave me a new one that is working perfectly.  What a relief.  I will be using them from now on.  I called my previous supplier and told him not to bother making the trip out here because I had found another supplier willing to deliver.

Thank you all for all your helpful information!  You really opened my eyes on the safety/dangers associated with acetylene tanks.

Kathy

Way to go Kathy! Dealing with professionals is a good thing. Every time I exchange bottles, oxy or 70-30 welding gas you can feel the soap on the valve. I mentioned it to the counter guy and he told me if there's a leak it's MY gear, bring it in and they'd fix it. Unless it's something major it's usually no charge. My current welding supplier is pretty typical here.

Glad you're dealing with pros now. If your torch gives you ANY trouble take it to them.

Relieved,

Frosty The Lucky.

i had problems with the supplier i hooked up with regarding leaking acetlene tanks. changed them out 3 times in one year. always around the valve stem.  lots of times i use torches while forge or wood stove going so leaking not anything you want. finally got tired of the leaks an took last one back with bad valve stem written on it. they never charged me for the changes but i did switch suppliers. just too dangerous to keep going with the leaks.