I Forge Iron

Incorrect use of thin cut-off wheel

A friend from another country was using a thin cut-off wheel by canting it on its side as one would use a disc sander with flexible backing. The wheel blew apart and caused him the loss of one eye. Another shard penetrated his skull and stopped 1/8 inch from his brain. He was wearing a face mask, but nevertheless...

Since that time, he has recovered and is still in business.

I have preached to people that they are one of the most dangerous tools in the shop. I have had them blow up on me under normal use and have seen many injuries because of improper use. If they get a nick in them throw it away. I not worth trying to save a few bucks to keep using it.

Good Morning,

We use zip cutters for many operations that we do. We have found that we get more endurance and longer lasting, if we put two thin disc's on instead of one thin disc. We haven't had one blow up since we started doing that.

just my $0.02

Neil

at that point why dont you use one thick disk/grinding wheel? i would be concerned that if one of the disks blows apart the other might become loose and soon follow.

i know i am repeatedly guilty of doing this with the little 3/4" diameter wheels for my dremel, and i have taken many a chunk to the face (with safety glass) when they disintegrate.  but being so lightweight they have never broken skin and having developed an appreciation for their tolerances i have gotten pretty good at not destroying them.  sometimes they are just cheap though, cant control everything.  i also try to avoid if at all possible keeping important body parts in the plane of rotation of any high RPM tools in my shop.  i was actually worried about using my 17$ HF angle grinder for just this reason, it sat in its box unused for 3 months before i finally put it to use just recently :P

Thin cut off blades are intended to cut from the edge while thicker grinding disks are intended to work flat on the grinding face. Using them on edge is working them in a weak direction and not recommended. That's not saying I haven't used grinding disks as cutoff wheels I carry a couple scars to show for it.

I can't say for sure but I THINK I read in a catalogue some time ago, about heavy duty cutoff disks for right angle grinders but my memory is suspect anymore. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.