I Forge Iron

worth picking up? 162lb peter wright

I'm currently trying to acquire my first anvil and I've been conversing with a guy off of craigslist on a 162lb peter wright, comes with a hardy for what its worth. couple of rough edges. 

I'm basically wondering if its worth picking up for $400-450

post-39946-0-79683000-1366728489_thumb.jpost-39946-0-13362900-1366728490_thumb.jpost-39946-0-40948200-1366728490_thumb.j

Beware!! The face is welded/repaired!!!

that's my main concern. I feel like I should check it out at least, but i'll be bringing a level, ball bearing and possibly my hammer. I've got a chunk of railroad that I can use in the meantime.

That' a pretty fair pric

e, I'd get it if I didn't see something seriously wrong. Put in some hours hammering hot iron/steel on it and it'd clean right up.

I don't see a weld but it may just be my eyes and this new laptop's smaller screen.

Frosty the Lucky.

i would be  little  more causious on this one . its welde(withch if done properly than its not a big deal) and they totally have the highest price i would even feel comfortable haggleing with. k but if you must have an anvil i know the feeling. tht dont always pop up in and area that is convieient fot both of you guys

I live in California as well,and I've seen that one on craigslist more than once now. As you may know, a good deal on an anvil here on CA craigslist goes FAST. And this one has been lingering for weeks . Which tells me there is definately something not quite right about it . Just as a comparsion,I picked up a much cleaner Wright in the Sacramento area for 325$

My suggestion would be to go and approach the situation carefully. Test the rebound. Inspect the face. See if he'll come down in price... It's still a great work surface, defiantely not junk. Just be careful  you don't get  ripped off. People on craigslist think every anvil is worth premium price.

If you're stuck between nothing and this anvil, you're better off saving your money for a couple more months and getting a brand new one. I've bought bigger anvils, in better shape, for less money, in the anvil-sparse region where I live.

i would be  little  more causious on this one . its welde(withch if done properly than its not a big deal) and they totally have the highest price i would even feel comfortable haggleing with. k but if you must have an anvil i know the feeling. tht dont always pop up in and area that is convieient fot both of you guys

it seens to be coming delaminated as well. nut that doesnt meen it would be a great first anvil for ya.

do you have on now?

I have a chunk of railroad track. I just finished my forge build last Saturday with my dad, in his welding shop.

I live in California as well,and I've seen that one on craigslist more than once now. As you may know, a good deal on an anvil here on CA craigslist goes FAST. And this one has been lingering for weeks . Which tells me there is definately something not quite right about it . Just as a comparsion,I picked up a much cleaner Wright in the Sacramento area for 325$

My suggestion would be to go and approach the situation carefully. Test the rebound. Inspect the face. See if he'll come down in price... It's still a great work surface, defiantely not junk. Just be careful  you don't get  ripped off. People on craigslist think every anvil is worth premium price.

yeah I've noticed they'll disappear really quickly. I've been looking every day, and this one was the only one that has even responded to me so far.

My dad's got a welding shop and him and his partner are pretty darn good so I'm pretty sure they could repair it if need be, and even get it remachined flat...its just, is it worth the extra cost? If he'll come down in price enough, even with the possible need to repair it, it may be worth it, no?

on the plus side, he's coming to meet me on Thursday and bringing the anvil...other than tapping the face with a hammer to check rebound, a level to check the sway of the face, anything else I can specifically do to a) make sure its worthwhile and b) show him I know what I'm doing so I can haggle better.

ball bearing rebound test, hammer ring and dent check, keep an ear out for anything that sounds like vibration or 'buzzing' which would indicate a separation of body and face, file test to verify hardness of face, scale of some sort to confirm weight

i miss anything?

Doubt that the horn was messed up by dropping---I can show you the divot in the commercial concrete floor dropping an anvil horn first onto it causes; but once I wiped the dust off the anvil I can't show you any damage to it! (Dang college students!)

HOWEVER I have heard many a tale of a smith running into the sharp point of an anvil and grabbing a sledge and making it not sharp.  I do not recommend re-sharpening it!!!!!!!  Instead build a hardy bick that will let you work small stuff without endangering future progeny!