I Forge Iron

Welcome South African Highveld

Glen, Thanks for opening the Forum for us. This is a real breakthru' for us. The Forge In at Coenraad Vegter, aka "The real Ystervegter Forge In" occurred on 31st of March 2007, I have a number of photo's from that event to post.
Regards, Wim.

In the IForgeIron Gallery > Blacksmithing Events > I have set up a folder called Ystervegter Forge In for the photos from your event.

First box "Choose a category to upload your images to" use the pull down menu and select Blacksmithing Events > Ystervegter Forge In for each photo. If you have any problems, contact me.

When I started the adventure of becoming an Artist Blacksmith, around July last year, I thought I was the only one on the continent of Africa. I did not know where to start.
A year later I now have made friends with 10 Blacksmiths and their families, from Gauteng, Mpumalanga, the Freestate and the North West province.
We are a great bunch, have had 3 big events with over 15 people, as well as a few weekends, where one smith invites another for a weekend of bashing and sleeping over. It is at these events that not only a lot is learned of the Blacksmith trade, also frienships are forged, and you build a network of contacts, that helps getting a hold of books, ideas, tools and materials. Most important, you have so much fun together, and your life ends up being richer for it.

Therefore I urge every South African smith, male or female, young or old, wherever you are, whether you are a professional, a novice, or a wannabee, to contact me via this route.
We can help each other, we can do something, to bring this beautiful trade of Blacksmithing back to life in this outpost of the Global Village.
We can make a contribution to the international community of Blacksmiths. (Did I hear an amen?);)

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Wim

Wim,
This note is to welcome you and all of the blacksmiths from South African to IFI.
I am a member of the IFI blacksmith family just as you are now.
IFI is user friendly for all new blacksmiths (just starting out) on up to master smiths.
All anybody has to do is “Just Ask a Question”, and an answer, or answers are usually on its way in a short time.
I have observed that we have craftsman here on IFI that specialize in Blade Smithing (knife and sword makers), Farriers, Ornamental Iron Crafters, Machinists, Repousse, Tin and copper and General Blacksmithing.
Most blacksmiths I have encountered here at IFI feel secure enough in their knowledge of the craft to share information freely.
This is a very good place to be connected to if you are a blacksmith or want to be a blacksmith.
Wim, I look forward to seeing your aspirations (that South Africans would become strong and united in the Blacksmithing community) come full circle.
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Hiya Wim
Im glad you joined this forum. I also started doing blacksmithing, started forging this year. Ive built my own forge and basically learned from sites like ifi and books. Ive also been to Cape Town to see Conrad Hicks. He is giving a 5day blacksmithing class in August. He does great work!
I have already contacted you and I am looking foreward to meeting you. It is wonderfull that you have started this group- I hope blacksmithing here in SA makes a comeback!
Bb

Thanks Candidquality, I really feel welcome,
The Highveld is an elevated plain about 5000 feet above Sealevel and it covers a large part of the South African Inland. Veld is a dutch word for field. It includes Johannesburg Pretoria, and a large area of about 250 mile radius around it. Look it up in a Map of the world, showing geographical features.

The blacksmiths in our group all stay more or less in this region. I drive about 4 hours to get to the most remote one.

Hope this answers your burning question,

Keep the fire burning, Wim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Vuka Design Workshop, South Africa has been set up in the IForgeIron Gallery.

Click on the gallery, click on upload photos, Where it says:

Choose a category to upload your images to.
Pick a category that relates most to your image(s). ---> member gallery

use the pull down menu and choose Blacksmithing events --> Vuka Design Workshop, South Africa. Then post images as usual. This puts all the photos from that event in one place.

• 8 years later...

Hey Ive been blacksmithing for 2 months now, in South Africa, Noord Kaap. Ek is 18 en sal graag meer wil leer, ek het my eie kool forge en treinspoor anvil, ek en my friend het al n paar "one piece razors" messe en hakke gemaak, maar sal graag meer will leer.

Groete Lucan.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm starting my own shop in the breerivier, I was told that Mikey can help me with forge ideas (cause I'm clueless due to google )

Does anyone know where I can learn the basics of blacksmithing, or is it trial and error?

If you guys will be able to help me, That'll be awesome

Michael

hi guys,

do you know where i can find some koawool for my forge?

I have no idea where to get it or what it costs, so any help will be well... helpful ... lol

thanks for reading,

Michael.

and dome of that refractory cement you cover it with, any products youd suggest i use instead if you its not available in south africa.

i want to use the forge to reach welding temp.

thanks

some*

On 5/21/2016 at 0:10 PM, Mbmul175 said:

Hi guys,

I'm starting my own shop in the breerivier, I was told that Mikey can help me with forge ideas (cause I'm clueless due to google )

Does anyone know where I can learn the basics of blacksmithing, or is it trial and error?

If you guys will be able to help me, That'll be awesome

Michael

You are welcome to contact me if you so wish. 071 9278963

Hi, Michael I am also on the highveld like Kevin I'm in contact with some of the other south African blacksmiths as well. I'm able to help with hard TO obtain stuff and have a large shop. I'm recovering from a hemorrhagic stroke at present but you can email me ian214(at)live.com

On 5/26/2016 at 6:25 AM, ianinsa said:

Hi, Michael I am also on the highveld like Kevin I'm in contact with some of the other south African blacksmiths as well. I'm able to help with hard TO obtain stuff and have a large shop. I'm recovering from a hemorrhagic stroke at present but you can email me ian214(at)live.com

Hey Ian,

Sorry to hear the bad news regarding your health. I do wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Kevan

On 5/26/2016 at 11:53 PM, Mbmul175 said:

Thanks, that will be great, where in south Africa are you situated ?

By what means do you prefer i contact you ?

Like Ian, I am in Gauteng.  kevanodonatgmail.com