I Forge Iron

Dragon Bellows update video

Did a bit of work today on my dragon bellows, added his horns and faceplate. Still need to design a nice set of eyes to burn in! once done I can finally sand and oil the wood to keep it in good shape. Had a bit of this work being done on my livestream video feed if anyone caught it, I like the idea of a window to my shop on the internet for all to see. 

post-7113-0-95535400-1365552051_thumb.jp

post-7113-0-01682200-1365552147_thumb.jp

post-7113-0-31594000-1365552170_thumb.jp

Wes,

Looks real good and I'm sure they will work very well once you work with them a bit.

Suggestion if you will.

Think about rolling the point into a scroll on the horns.....my fear is that they will catch a young one's eye as they are now....

OR

maybe a good whiskey cork lashed on each one and make a joke of them when asked.

Ric

Hahah I know your fear all too well as at my last show (without horns at the time) parents would let the little ones wander right up to the fire!!! I even had ropes up... But the plan for the next show is to try and have a better table barricade set up, no one should be that close to my forge but myself and the wife, and the next child I catch trying to go under my barriers will be put to work gathering sticks for the evenings fire! Appreciate the safety call though, I do pay my insurance for a reason and I grew up in a world of learning by burning ones hand on the stove so if the parents not doing its job heh they better start. I can freeze most little ones in place with a dirty bearded glare ;)

looks like it should work ! i didnt like how it wobbeled as you pulled on the pole ... would probably change the legs ( been thru this on my third handmade portable bellows forge). how do you like the side blast forge ? i tried one and went back to a bottom draft but have talked to others who seem to like side drafts for theyre permanent forge...looks real portable !

The wobble is a product of the folding aspect of the this design. I've use it for a number of days and it works great with no problems and its a bit over a year old now.  I still need to add wheels to complete the full idea I had in my head. 

I like the side blast a lot and its the only option if I want to use a sand pit forge. Though the bellows is not viking era accurate its a lot easier to work solo than a two pump setup.