I Forge Iron

Feather and leaf pendants

Ridgewayforge

Hello IFI!

I would like to share a couple of projects that I have made recently. I started working with small stock, which presents a very fun challange and fast heating times. Both of these began as short square bars of 3/8" mild, and the first one is wire brushed while the second is wax coated. If I am making these to sell I will use some clear coat, as the wax makes them a bit tacky.

I would like to open them up to critique and criticism. They are both light enough to be worn by both men and women, and are designed to be worn on a chain or leather strap.

post-24020-0-80606500-1364573674_thumb.j

The one above is the leaf style, while the one below is a feather.

post-24020-0-81520900-1364573705_thumb.jpost-24020-0-58766900-1364573752_thumb.j

I welcome your comments and criticisms!

Thanks,

Patrick

I like them but I think your veining techniques could improve.  Artistically I find that I nearly always prefer subtler impressionistic veining to sharp edged chisel marks.  This could be done with a chisel with softer edges but an appropriately dressed peen is almost always faster and easier. You do have to pay close attention to your hammer striking that way but still you get so MUCH more done in a heat, and slight variations in the struck patterns I find to be MORE attractive anyway!  I have hammers in a wide range of sizes and peen styles and would be using a rather small one for this work with a narrow edged peen that is pretty soft on the corners.  Probably about a 2 1/2 oz. to 3 1/2 oz. hammer would be my choice, with about a 3/32" to 1/8" radius peen.  Not everyone agrees with my preferences on this but try it and see what you think!

Thanks Brian for the link to that, that is truly phenominal work.

Bigfoot, I assume that I could always make a small veining hammer out of mild steel, since it will be for light work on small leaves such as this, right? I might do that, since the veining took several heats to accomplish and I need an easier way to do this. What I may end up doing for a hammer such as that is taking a Railroad spike, drifting a hole in the center and rounding off the spike end. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks Brian for the link to that, that is truly phenominal work.

Bigfoot, I assume that I could always make a small veining hammer out of mild steel, since it will be for light work on small leaves such as this, right? I might do that, since the veining took several heats to accomplish and I need an easier way to do this. What I may end up doing for a hammer such as that is taking a Railroad spike, drifting a hole in the center and rounding off the spike end. Does this seem reasonable?

Pick up a coil spring and you'll have all the punch, chisel and chasing tool stock you want. Overhead door springs are a nice diameter stock for chasing tools and they're really LONG. Most overhead door companies have bunches of broken springs so a little forged gift is likely to get you a lifetime supply. If you find a coil spring made of 5/8" stock it'll make nice chasing hammers like small body and fender hammers.

Few things about this craft are as satisfying as using tools you've made yourself.

Frosty The Lucky.