I Forge Iron

hot cutter for damascus....

hello Guys !
when I'm making damascus billets, I'm using cutting abrasives wheels .......
now I want too cut it under power-hammer but I have never see an hot cutter for power-hammer !
have you any picture to this tool and have you any ideas what steel is the better for making it?
thanks for your help!
(and excuse me for my poor english speaking!:()

all of the hot cutters i've seen for use with a power hammer have been wedges about twice as tall as they are wide, welded to the end of a rod / rebar, they were much more dull than a normal hot cut as well.

Not sure if this is typical, but the two I've seen myself were both more or less the same.

Hot cuts can work for any hot metal as long as you have to power to drive it through the metal. One thing to consider is what the hot cut will do to the metal. And that really depends on what you want the metal to look like when you are finished with it. I have never hot cuts a billet as I can envision the edges being smashed together along the area cut. This would deform whatever pattern I have built into the billet. Even if I were only to hot cut the ends prior to stacking and rewelding it would deform teh bar in an arfea I would rather have the layers the same thickness. Now after saying all that, I have seen billets hot cut, stacked and rewelded by a fella that gets a lot of money for his knives and they look great, So I fyou figure it out and it works,, great.

Hot cuts for hammers are often called "hacks" you may want to search on that term and powerhammer.

One neat method is to take a rectangular bar and grind in a section a bit less than 1/8" or so and then grind it wedge shaped so your cutting edge has two stop blocks built in to prevent the edge or the die from getting damaged if you cut a bit too strongly. |_-----_| bad ascii art!

"hack" x2 is what I was taught they were called. the few to little I have are h13.

The ones I have aren't really sharp but are about 5 times taller than the are thick and have a coresponding sized square block on the other end of the handle.

You "hack" almost all the way through, turn over the material and flip around the tool which has sames sized square shaped end to knock out the small chunk thats left. The square end is the same size as the widest part of the "hack"

Similar to hot punching a hole. You get that little slug of material laying on your lower die.

I use a bottom cover plate to protect my hammer die just in case I get over anxious.