I Forge Iron

Milling Machine Question

I am looking at a Burke Milling machine and had a couple questions. First has anyone had any experience with this machines? It is the size R8 collet. Secondly how hard will it be to attach a VFD to the machine since it is a 3 phase motor and I do not have 3 phase service? Thanks for any help.

VFD's connect to single phase power, convert from single phase to three phase power, as well as varying the frequency of the power for motor speed control.  However the VFD's that I have will provide power to only one motor, so if the mill has a additional motor/motors to drive the table and quill  you will likely have to have a VFD for each motor.   I  have not bought a VFD in five years so be sure to check that with the VFD that you buy.  Things may have changed.

They are not hard to install if you can read and follow instructions, except that the junction box volume provided integral to the machine is generally a lot smaller than big fingered guys are used to, so it takes a bit of care and thought to hook things up .

VFD's connect to single phase power, convert from single phase to three phase power, as well as varying the frequency of the power for motor speed control. However the VFD's that I have will provide power to only one motor, so if the mill has a additional motor/motors to drive the table and quill you will likely have to have a VFD for each motor. I have not bought a VFD in five years so be sure to check that with the VFD that you buy. Things may have changed.

They are not hard to install if you can read and follow instructions, except that the junction box volume provided integral to the machine is generally a lot smaller than big fingered guys are used to, so it takes a bit of care and thought to hook things up .

Can't comment on the Burke machine,

Mines a Gorton Mastermill. It has three motors so I built a rotary phase converter.