I Forge Iron

The steel industry doesn't use pet coke because of the sulfur/heavy metal content and lack of consistancy of content. I'd like to know if pet coke would be a viable forge fuel without some terrible risk. I know it's used in power generation but only up to 40% with the balance made up of coal.  

The reason I'm asking is that there is 30,000 tons of pet coke for the Marathon refinery, piled up by the Detroit river and the local officials want it gone, pronto! Could be gotten for a good deal

The steel industry doesn't use pet coke because of the sulfur/heavy metal content and lack of consistancy of content. I'd like to know if pet coke would be a viable forge fuel without some terrible risk. I know it's used in power generation but only up to 40% with the balance made up of coal.  

The reason I'm asking is that there is 30,000 tons of pet coke for the Marathon refinery, piled up by the Detroit river and the local officials want it gone, pronto! Could be gotten for a good deal

I saw that news story as well and wondered what the difference between Pet Coke and Metallurgical Coke was

A couple of decades ago my wife had a relative who ran a calcining plant near Lake charles, Louisiana.  I got several pickup truck loads of petrolium coke.  It was in large chunks- fist, to head, sized.  It was hard to light so I made a lighter-pine fire first and then added coke to it.  The fire was very hot but tended to spread to the whole fire pot. 

The coke burned hot enough to melt five pounds of bronze to cast a bell clapper for a large Mexican bell.  That said, making reliable forge welds was difficult; possibly due to the high sulfer content.   I would use it today if it was available at Walmart at not too much more than Royal Oak lump charcoal prices.

Used petroleum coke in the past, came from a lime kiln. The stuff smelled bad of deisel when burning, tried mixing with coal and the smell was still there. Finally found a good source of met coke out of New York , our group pulled together and ordered 22 tons. The coke is a dream to use, forge welds easily, clean , no smoke .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone used pet coke from the Pine Bend Refinery?  I was wondering what it was like and if it was possible to get from them in quantities small enough for me to be able to store (roughly 50 gal.) or if it was all being shipped out to China ect.