I Forge Iron

ASO from #110 rail

A while back I posted that I was looking for an anvil. I decided to take the offered advice and find a piece of rail to pound on until the right anvil came along. Turns out salvage rail can be had in virtually any quanity for $.25 pound in my neighborhood, (and coal is $40 a ton...but no anvils!) so I bought a 3 two foot sections.  Unfortunatly I have few proper tools for metalworking, so I had to grind the crown and shape/cut it with a belt sander and angle grinder. I am planning to use the other two pieces vertically as a base for the rail. Any suggestions for improvements?

post-35113-0-28564500-1363146101_thumb.j

post-35113-0-67226700-1363146287_thumb.j

I did consider adding a hardy hole, but the rail is only 2 3/4" wide, and making one less than an inch would just leave me with hardy tools too small for my future real anvil. It is pretty hard steel, and I doubt I could cut a square anyway.

Addin a pritchel would not be too dificult. I didn't know if it would be useful, and I am not sure where to put it.

Tell me this, am I "wasting" tool steel for the base? I have lots of 1/4" wall 4 x 4 and 4 x 8 square mild tube that I could use instead.  Will weight in the base signifigantly effect performance? I was planning on using two vertical cuts of the rail, with the top rail exposed for another hammering surface. The aso weighs ~70#, and the cuts would be about the same.

Itsme,   

The rail anvils are notoriously poor performers in the horizontal orientation, but you can make them work better by adding as much mass as possible.  While using the tubing to make a base will work, using other pieces of track will add significantly more weight and make the anvil perform just that much better.  Cutting and shaping track into other tools, basically using it as a raw material, is very labor intensive and you'd be better off buying new stock that's closer to the size and shape of what you're trying to make.

I did explore the purchase of a block of tool steel, but only buying 18" really ended any intrest my local supplier had in selling to me. Luckly, the time spent grinding can be written off as learning. I have been eyeing some "new stock" at the Nimba web site. It comes much closer to the size and shape of the item I desire :) I even have a trip planned to WA in June!

"The Complete Modern Blacksmith"  Weygers, has a chapter on making rail anvils including doing a heat treat on them.  You should be able to ILL a copy at your local public library

Have you thought of welding on a piece of structural steel sq tubing to an end to use as a hardy hole?  If it "wears out" well you can always do it again...

Hardy and pritchel holes are handy but in a small anvil such as your they take up good forging area and may lighten and weaken the anvil because you will probably have to cut the web.  An easy way out is to make a saddle with one or more drilled holes and a couple flanges to hold it in place on the anvil.  That will work fine for backing up punches and short drifts.  A hold down could be mounted on whatever base you make for the anvil and for a hardy holder, think about a securely mounted leg vise.  A big advantage to a vise is that you don't have to be fussy about making sure your hardy tools are the same size or if they fit the hardy hole tightly-just tighten the vise.  Even with two anvils, I often use the vice for holding certain hardies.  For hot work I prefer the vise mounted with the top about waist high.

Nice job on the railroad track anvil.  It will get you started fine.

I ordered "The Complete Blacksmith" (and read all the free pages on Amazon, Naturally they excluded the chapter on tempering rail). Looks like a great resource. I preheated the pieces and welded the track anvil to a couple of 2' lengths of vertical rail (thanks for the confirmation VaughnT), and except that it is a bit narrow, it works pretty well. If I can find a solid piece of 1" ID square tube, I could add that on to the base, as Thomas suggested.

I have been looking for a leg vice, along with everything else, but nothing yet. I saw one listed in Jackson,WY that looked nice, but I haven't found a way to get down there and take a look yet.