I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Apron

I have gotten tired of replacing my cheap leather welding aprons ever couple of years. So I had my friend Scott Lintow at Sleeping Scorpion make me a new shop apron out of Bisson hide. I hope one this will last me a long time. What do you all think? Comments?

post-6037-0-13638800-1363031606_thumb.jp

post-6037-0-35907100-1363031622_thumb.jp

I really like that.  I remember a video on the net that showed a european smith with a similar apron.

Personally, I would prefer a cross-back strap style, but the y-style isn't too bad.  What's he charge?  He make xxl, or xxxl?

looks good. my great grandfathers was mule hide. and shaped like farriers chaps with a longer belly and the chap slit was shorter. it is still in great shape for being over 100 years old. we use it to pattern new aprons.

The reason I chose to have him make it out of Bisson hide is because it is tougher than cow hide. Plus I really like the multiple colors in it. It is pricey $ 7 a squarefoot. All he wanted to charge me was for me to buy him a new 2 1/2 lb Pendinghaus french style hammer because his wife would not let him buy any more tools. I would not let him do it for just that so I gave $50 also and he is going to come over and we will make some pattern welded knife blanks. He has caught the blacksmithing bug and is learning how to make knifes.

I like aprons, ... and over the years, have developed some very specific criteria about their design and fit.

Since "plain vanilla" only, has become the rule in manufactured goods, ... if you want to be "fussy", ... you'd better be prepared to make it yourself.

My research pointed to Horsehide as the traditional material fpr Blacksmith's aprons, ( and my neighbor did have a half-dozen properly proportioned hay-burners just standing around  :P ) ... but I opted for a piece of "Upolstry" leather, instead.

It's very soft, and has a slick, durable finished surface.

I made it to fit closely under the chin and around the neck, ( to keep out sparks  :o ) high under the arm-pits, and knee length, ... with 3" wide shoulder straps, that reduce to 1" wide, in an "X" pattern across the back.

It's like wearing a suit of armor.  :D

Now, ... if I could just find a way to "fire-proof" my beard .....

Beautiful apron. Does the "Y" configuration help keep weight off the neck?That bugs me in my apron sometimes.  Wonder about a poor guy in a "my wife won't LET me" situation!!! My wife and I are both very frugal and everything we have,including home, is paid for ,but I wouldn't Dream of asking her what she spent on the new industrial sewing machine and she wouldn't think of asking me what that new Papa Rhino anvil cost! I guess everybody is different,but I had to say something because the "my wife won't let me" thing seems to pop up here a LOT!!! Maybe it's just in a joking manner?????

I bought a piece of leather online that was long enough to cover my body throat to foot and hip to hip.  I trimed enough to allow free arm movement, and placed gromets for a neck band and hook, and a waist band and hook.  It cost less than $35 last year when I made it.

Beautiful apron. Does the "Y" configuration help keep weight off the neck?That bugs me in my apron sometimes.  Wonder about a poor guy in a "my wife won't LET me" situation!!! My wife and I are both very frugal and everything we have,including home, is paid for ,but I wouldn't Dream of asking her what she spent on the new industrial sewing machine and she wouldn't think of asking me what that new Papa Rhino anvil cost! I guess everybody is different,but I had to say something because the "my wife won't let me" thing seems to pop up here a LOT!!! Maybe it's just in a joking manner?????

Yes it does. I have wore it a couple of time now and am really liking it. Once it settles down and gets broke in it will be even better.

Last spring, I wore my leather apron while "pressure washing" a couple of tractors.

It got pretty well saturated, ... and took a few days to completely dry.

But I wore it quite a bit during the drying process, ... and as a result, it "conformed" to the shape of my upper body, ( round ) ... and stiffened up just a bit.

I'm very pleased with the result.

• 3 weeks later...