I Forge Iron

A Blacksmith's Craft The Lagacy of Francis Whitaker

Thomas Dean

A Blacksmiths Craft, The Legacy of Francis Whitaker, Volume 1
ISBN 0-9707664-7-5
George Dixon
145 pages

Total awesome book by George Dixon. Has "Whitaker-isms" all Through the book, great pictures, and easy to read directions on doing EVERYTHING in a smithy. This is Vol. I and not sure when # II come out but will definitely purchase it when it does. Vol.II will have projects to put to use what you learned in #1. Can't wait!

I rate this book a 10.

ISBN 0-9707664-7-5
George Dixon
145 pages

One of my favorite books in my library right now. There are enough tools and ideas in this book to keep me busy for some time to come. I would recommend this book as one of the first books anyone is considering to use to learn about blacksmithing.

The book starts with the shop it's self. Then moves on to basic processes. It discusses making tooling and the different types of joinery. From there it gets decorative and better and better. A ton of information crammed into 145 pages. No matter where you are in blacksmithing, this book is a must have.

• 1 month later...

ISBN 0-9707664-7-5
George Dixon
145 pages

Ordered a copy last Friday based on the above reviews. Received it this morning and have not put it down. Well worth the price of admission. Packed full of information and first rate illustrations.

John

I had heard that Vol II was due out "this Fall". I asked Tal Harris (one of the contributors to the book) about this earlier this month. He said that he hadn't heard about the Fall publication and that he hadn't received anything to proof read yet. Sooo, I guess we continue to wait...and wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another is Whitaker's "The Blacksmiths Cook Book" a joy to read, it is now out of print but I picked up a copy through an inter-library loan and copied it for my personal use. The copies I have found at book sellers are at best pricey.
# ISBN-10: 0939415003
# ISBN-13: 978-0939415007

The master smith at the historical park that I worked at spent a year apprenticeship with Mr Whitaker. He had many stories of the Master's wit. When he was asked by a student " Is this bar strait enough?" Francis replied without looking at the piece, "Is it strait?".

• 1 year later...