I Forge Iron

Knife Making Class Log 115: Summary and Questions

steve sells
so where is everyone at with their knife making? we will try to help you over the humps and bumps if we can.

BigCotton89
Making my first sheath tonight

K. Bryan Morgan
I'm making a "patch knife" for a blackpowder friend.

Rodney Skinner
still working on getting hollow grinding consistant

mike-hr
I demo'ed rrspike Damascus last weekend at the hammer-in, went down awesome!

K. Bryan Morgan
There's really no such thing as a patch knife its a modern invention.. they just used anything that was at hand

mike-hr
Made 2 knives, 1 sold at the dinner auction for $160, the other for $180. Made some good money for the museum

sanch
working some saw blade steel here steel seems to be ok from what ican see cool heated mine to crit and quenched it in H2o then snapped a tooth off

steve sells
good seems like yer getting steel formed, What problems have you ran into ?

K. Bryan Morgan
ya me too.. some band saw blade from a big wood mill band saw, was talking to Rich about it last night hard stuff

mike-hr
Band saw blade makes great fillet knives

marcusb
Anyone try those large power hacksaw blades for small knife?

steve sells
many of the higher proces skill saw blades are nickel/chrome/moly alloy, we know what that normaly is right ?

mike-hr
gonna guess L6

steve sells
Correct for many, but not all.   15N20 and L-6 is both are close to .75 carbon, and both have about 2% nickel BUT the L6 adds /8 chrome ( like a 5160) and .30 moly (like O1) the chrome makes it harder, and more scale, but they look about the same in a billet.  the main thing for US as blade makers is the mol;y helps keep grain from getting larger wheis is great and the chrome adds deep hardening. vs the 15n20 BUT both are good for a bright layer in pattern welded steels as for MOno blade... L6 can flex better than straight 10 series for me.  and the grain staying small means better return to origonal shape after the flesaing too plus the carbides and such have better wear

mike-hr
Steve, sounds like I'm staying happy with bandsaw blade, and not gonna buy any 15n20

steve sells
they are both good, but I dont head a lot of people praising a mono steel 15N20 blade. for people starting pattern welding, adn even advanced it sticks like peanut butter to 10 series and both have simular charistics so makes a easier to work blade for twisting and mulit bar billets too they both have their uses and I carry both in my shop I use 1095, 1084fg, 1080, 1045, 15N20, L-6, O-1, Wrought Iron, Pure Nickel, and Meteorite for my blades.  not all will be used for mono steel blades, I will use 1084 and LR and 5160 O1 the others are for pattern welding, the dif between the 1095 and 1080 is mainly for color form the Maganese content.

K. Bryan Morgan
I have a guy who wants me to make a pattern welded barrel for a swivel knife... Not sure exactly how to do that.

steve sells
you can make it and drill it OR wrap it around a dowel like old gun barrels were

K. Bryan Morgan
I was planing on drilling it ya

Loneforge Blades
Getting flat grinds down, still not there with hollow grinds either

steve sells
Rich is the master of that, I use the platten to help get good flay sides

K. Bryan Morgan
I have plans to make a set of box jaw tongs to hold bar stock better...

mike-hr
I realize that L6 etches bright, and 5160 etches less bright Steve, but are you saying you can get 3 or 4 brightness colors in the same blade with the mat'ls you mentioned?

Loneforge Blades
I am free hand grinding both,   I free hand but there are jigs to help make learning easier

sanch
last blade i did i used a jig but it wasnt as fun as free hand

Loneforge Blades
Mike I used 1084 1095 and 15N20 all in same billet.....1095 and 1084 etched the same

steve sells
I have 3 and 4 color blades, like my Persian on my web site post-2529-0-04283700-1362673057_thumb.jp that one is only 3 color

Rich Hale
Steve and i have covered a whole lot of information in the classes so far. We started with basics, and continue that , WE jumped ahead a couple of weeks with advanced things. We will do that some more now and then. My point is all of this information is in the knife forums We will ty not to repeat anything we have already logged. If you are new to the classes all of them have the kind of information depth that Steve has shown this eve. We each learned the knowledge over a lot of years,,You can shorten the learning curve with this info And we are not anywhere near out of info Mike I weld a handle on billets We would take notes if anyone wants us to show ideas on anything they wish to know, If it has been covered we will tell ya

steve sells
any requests for furture material ??? there was one request for axes... and I do plan to cover them some day

Loneforge Blades
Case Handles

mike-hr
There's an irony here. If a guy takes any lesson, he should spent six months at it to get fluent. subtle things appear after 20 chunks of scrap. I don't feel ready to ask to advance, I'm still having fun whacking out a basic tapered blade...

steve sells
I still enjoy making a 1.5 inch boot knife after 20 yeasrs I undersatand, but what is a case handle ?

Loneforge Blades
Frame Handles.....sorry

steve sells
like the classic bottle neck? and hook ?

Loneforge Blades
Handle is complete and Pinned on after

steve sells
yup great for horn scales  and ODD shapes ok thats handle part 4 (never thought there was so much to talk about with a handle huh)

Loneforge Blades
Nice use of patterened scraps as well

steve sells
also for using gens stone material, which doesnot hold up very well with out the support of the frame.  I think I have a small sword that I need to do a frame for, so I better get that photographed as I finish it.

K. Bryan Morgan
so like mamoth ivory or teeth?

steve sells
that Rich area... I fear using that even tho RIch send me some to try.  that gives me a target for future chats I know a more I can share, but I have trouble figuring out what you people wish to know  so your comments and questions give me direction of where to take my part of this class.  Its YOUR time also I don't want to waste it.  I am trying to tell you all I can, and RIch is also.. There are NO secrets just some things like when I mentioned harmonics last week, that cant be answered with out some background knowledge first.   I have been accused by some of not wanting to share. but those that were here or read last weeks chat, know its not a easy thing to explain to a beginner, and as a result they assume incorrectly.

Loneforge Blades
Hard to teach someone with a blank page in front of them

steve sells
sadly there are some that ask in forum that wont take the time to understand and do it themselves, then complain I am a jerk because they dont get what they want , when they want it

garey
I know you covered distal tapers. some folks dont understand why it is used and how it adds to the strength and balance of a knife.

steve sells
not sure that it does add strength, but balance I stated is due to mass being closer to hand rather than out at the end like a baseball bat

Rich Hale
Garey very few of my knves have distal tapers, And none are very long,,,,,

steve sells
where as I am doing a mostly blades for Medieval reenactors and those are fighting blades, many over 10 inches long, some are swords I dont worry as much for a small hunting knife size.  Any class suggestions before we lose the chat room ?

K. Bryan Morgan
Thank you both for doing this. Its a big help for us who are trying to learn it. I don't get a chance to participate much but I read every post multipul times.

steve sells
there are a few smal blades where the taper is in the blade AND tang which is visable as part of design

mike-hr
Steve corrupted me.. A newbie at the hammer-in last weekend was pumping me for everything forgewelding, and heat treating, while I was in the middle of welding.. I smiled, and told him to buy a book....

steve sells
mainly for looks not much for function there. well its a good answer depending on Whose book

Loneforge Blades
Thanks again Rich and Steve Most of my questions came from previous attempts or fails

Rich Hale
Those are the best questions

Looking foreward to the ax chat. Thanks guys. Great point on whose book! I read a book on backyard blacksmithing. The author had lots of MIG and TIG welding projects. All of the backyard blacksmiths I know don't have that kind of equipment. If I see more than 1 or 2 things in a book that contradict the guys at the club and the IFI posts I stop reading and get a different book.