I Forge Iron

Brazeal style striking anvil.....Pritchel; yes or no

I am making several striking anvils for friends and family.  Six pieces of 5" x 5" x 12" 5135 material saw cut to square faces and waterjet the 1" hardy (I am not the man that Custer and Brazeal and some others are, and also do not have the time to drift that many anvils).  Time and effort being what they are.......how much utility is there in having the 1/2" pritchel in a striking anvil?  Cheers, Riffe

Hey Chris!

In my striking anvil (2x5x12) i did not put in a pritchel hole. 

My reasoning was that the striking anvil, for me, is used in conjunction with a regular anvil. So I will always have access to a pritchel hole. Also was the fact, that my striking anvil is used with a striker and I have never seen an operation where a pritchel was used! 

If it is not a hassle to drill the pritchels, put them in! If it is too much effort, don't bother...You shouldn't ever regret it really in my opinion!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the final anvils! I am upset that once these are made they will all take my striking anvil's place as the world's number one striking anvil ;) xxxx!

Hope you are well!!

Alec

Lyle, Brian, and I made the striking anvil that Chris' son Daniel uses. It is made of 3 inch thick A36 steel and the 1 inch hole was completed from a 7/8 inch diameter hole. From start to finish  , cold, heat, drifting, cool down, and removal of maneuvering stub handles was 2 hours, including 2 heats.

Thin material should be (possibly) drifted in one heat.

In my town the local waterjet people get $275 per hour so i guess they really do not desire to get my business.

Drilling the 5135 should not prove too difficult for a pritchell if completed prior to welding. After welding testing should give the answer but I suspect a cobalt drill with precision feed to be required. If accomplished with the waterjet while cutting the hardy hole the cost would only increase little, as much of the cost is in the setup proceedure. I would include the pritchell, but I will not be making any new striking anvils soon.

Good luck Chris on your project. I am certain you will make a grand product.

Carry on

Alec,

Thank you for the quick reply.......shouldn't you be doing homework or otherwise studying / being productive?

Anyhooooo,.... after speaking with Brian, I have decided that the effort involved in incorporating a 1/2" pritchel is not worth the effort.  A couple of these striking anvils will be going to Balcones members and will stay with that group...so I am still waiting to hear from them...?

Most of us have an anvil with a pritchel and the "striking anvil" is a tool, designed to mitigate the damage "strikers" might do to our "working" anvils.

Brian also convinced me not to "play around" with hardening Daniels Striking anvil.  I was tempted to do so, but as I do not know who would be striking for Daniel in the future; it is better to play it safe and not have an anvil that might shed 'high velocity" pieces of stee!  Brian Brazeal is nothing if he is not the absolute most practical forger I know! .............Preaching to the choir.

cheers.

chris

David,

Thank you my friend for following this thread so closely...and thank you especially for all of the work you did for the "Young Smiths" this past year.  Daniel has run off to the Heartland Horseshoeing School in Lamar, MO with the striking anvil that you made... and so I am left to fabricate another if I want to continue making hammers and hammer tools.  Here in Houston it is fairly easy to get ahold of alloy steels and to have machine work done.  As I am without my assistant now ( Daniel) I must have some work done outside of our shop.  The six sided facing of the 5"x5"x12" steel blocks and the water jetting of the 1" hardy will amount to $190.00.  Well worth the price considering the time factor involved.  The welding to the 3/4" plate base and the schedule 80 legs I'll handle in house with scrap from the jobs we do; so the costs will still be reasonable.  And, while I guess I could drill and drift a 1" hole with Daniels's assistance....I am not convinced I can do it without him around to help/direct!  By the way... this is a major concession to the worth of any of "The Young Smith's".  They really are an amazing group of "Young'uns".         Kainon...you are still going to owe me a hammer for the striking anvil ;-}

Hey Chris, thats great that you have gotten so involved. I remember the first time I met you when you helped with the striking at the class in Louisiana. You sure have come a long way. If it were me I would not put in a pritchel hole. If there was one I would think it would just be for the "dial a hole". We are all indebted to you for everything you did last year, if I can ever help you let me know.

Lyle.  Thank you Sir. Your thoughts on the subject are much appreciated.  It seems that the consensus is to forego drilling the pritchel.  That will speed up the build process considerably. I will be swinging through your hometown very soon and hope to see you then.  Regards,  chris