I Forge Iron

What to do

hey all, i got a nother post drill this last weekend. it is a buffalo forge #616. question is what do you all think, when i restore it do i go origenal or restore it with the mods put on it. it came out of a shop in nebr. and they have some nice mods for using an electric motor to run it. and build a really nice gear cover for it. it also has a nice metal mounting plate instead of a wood one. does anyone know did buff forge make a metal mounting plate, has anyone else seen one or is it a nother mod? i will get some picks in the next couple of days. i also picked up a champion #106 post drill. payed $12 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Although tempting to put a motor on a post drill, especially if you are drilling lots of holes with it, I would return it to original.  I expect it will be more valuable and probably more useful without the modifications. These were designed for the lower input speeds of human power, not the steady pull of the electric motor. Also there is a fair amount of charm in the simple human powered tools that deserves preservation. Just my thoughts...All I've seen were mounted on wood planks.  Ed.

Greetings Matto,

All the post drills that I've seen came on a wood plank for shipping....  Designed so that you can remove it or just nail up the plank..  If you mount a motor on the unit you will find that if you bottom the drill or jam the drill there is no reverse...  The self feed will lock up ..   I have several post drills in my studios and find the very functional and fun the way they were intended to use..  By the way the make great babysitters for the young ones that visit your shop... Give them a board , show them how it works and that keep them busy for hours...   Oh by the way   ITS CORDLESS

Have fun     Jim

Glad it has a gear guard.  I met a knifemaker at the Guild Show one year that told me about trying to save some money by motorizing a hand crank drill rather than buying a drillpress.  Once when trying to drill a difficult bit he was watching the drill bit and reached up to advance the drill and stuck his fingers in the moving gears.  

Two years after some very expensive hand surgery they were still not up to their former state and he told me that  "not even considering the down time he could have bought the most expensive drill press available and still have been thousands of dollars to the good!"