I Forge Iron

Heat Treating an Anvil Bridge

I'm making an anvil bridge tool from a piece of 5160 to sit in the hardy. How far should I temper it? Obviously I don't want it to bend with use, but hammering in the middle of the bridge would be likely to cause cracking if it was too hard. Any suggestions? I'd imagine it wants to be a bit softer than an anvil face.

I've made mine out of old axles, about 1045, with the forged hardy shank. I let normalize and harden only the face and its edge bends. I tempered to a blue. One edge is sharp as in use for fork tines. The other side has a small radius.

If you've ever made branding iron letters and characters, this is one tool you want to have!

• 2 weeks later...

Frank: I'm a little confused(not too hard to do) by your description. My saddle is a piece of very thick walled square tubing welded to a pice of 1" stock to fit my hardy hole.. Did you draw out your axel flat and make it rectangular? Sorry for not understanding...  Eric Sprado